Krausen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner65

Reaction score
I brewed my witbier on Saturday and the fermentation is going well bubbles every two seconds even on day two. My question is not really a concern but of curiousness.

My krausen never reached a very high level maybe an inch thick after 24 hours now it is slowly dropped to about half the original thickness. I never even came close to having a blow off or even getting krausen into my air lock. My question is at what point does the krausen start rise to the levels I see in photos? or does it not in some cases?

It really varies. Sometimes you get a ton and other times you hardly get any. Kind of like some other things in life. :D

That is one of the Beer-God mysteries, I have found no ryme or reason to blowoffs and/or low krausen. I brewed a Bavarian hefe and it blew-off for 3 days straight, next batch of the same beer had about 2 inches and nowhere near a blowoff, they both started at about 1.049 and finished at 1.010. tasted the same too...aah the mysteries

Well then maybe it has something to do with barametric pressure, humidity/temp, or it ma just be plain old FM!

Temperature does have a pretty good effect on it though. If you're too warm then the yeast get going like gangbusters and you're more likely to get a blow off. But they can happen even at the low end of the temp range.

Thanks guys I really am more interested in the whole science behind the beer then the beer itself......NAH just kidding.

Back