Do pellet hops stay in suspension?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
So, I fell like I am back to the beginning and just starting out as a home brewer. I have made some pretty silly mistakes on the last 2 beers and I am seriously doubting myself. Between the Anbesol Ale and now the dry hopping adventure, but meh, my doubts not yours.

Anyway, the question is, will pellet hops stay in suspension? I kegged up a hoppy red ale that was dry hopped with 1oz of pellets. I didn't even think to use a strainer when I racked it to the keg. So last night when I went to taste it, it just would not pour. I eventually had to crank the PSI on the keg to 40 to get the clog out. Now every glass I pour has hops floating in it. Will these settle?

If not what to do. I don't really want open the keg and re-rack/strain it as it is carbed and I don't want to risk oxidation, but I will if needed.

Oh great and masterful home brew gods, help me out once again. Thanks!

Yeah, to the bottom of your keg, right where the you'll be pulling the beer from.
The biggest challenge is ahead of you. It's only a matter of time before the poppet gets clogged, and you'll need to remove the poppet, and dip tube to purge the vegetative materials. :drunk:
Don't forget to practice good sanitation skills.

I was slightly afraid of that!

So since then I have been thinking, two things one of which a friend of proposed. I figure I have two options.

1. Super chill and get a good blanket of CO2 in a new keg and transfer to that keg. Risking oxidation.

2. Remove the tube and attach a paint straining bag to the end of it with zips ties and secure it to keep it from getting sucked into the tube. The risk here is that the end of the bag will get so "gunky" that it will also be a source of clogging.

I love this hobby! :)

I think (never done it so do a search) that you could add gelatin to the already carbed beer to drop out and help keep the hops from getting sucked into the tube. Maybe after a couple days you'd want to do a keg->keg transfer (don't syphon, put beer out->beer out and use CO2 to push - if you purge the second keg ahead of time no oxygen exposure at all).

I made the mistake of doing this one time as well. It's a friggin mess. When I dry hop with pellets I always make sure to keep the auto siphon off of the trub while racking to keg. I still have some mess when I pull a pint, but it's tolerable.

I think if you got it really cold (below 40 if possible) then add gelatin and let it sit several days undisturbed.

Next:

A. pull poppet and dip tube, cut and inch off the bottom. Or.....

B. push into another keg purged with co2. Or....

C. Drink beer as is out of coffee mugs.

Eastside

Latest posts

Back