Experimental beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I am planning on trying a small batch of beer this weekend and more than likely it will come out pretty bad. That said I am still going to try it anyways. I kinda wanna keep what Im doing quiet so Im not ridiculed before doing it. I promise I will post the results after it is complete and my recipe/process if you guys would like

Anyways....... is there anything in the list below that could possibly stop thhe yeast from fermenting or cause other problems with fermentation.

phosphoric acid, caffein, or sodium benzoate

Check out Sodium benzoate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will kill fungus (like yeast).

On the other hand, phosphoric acid can be a yeast food (I think this is a main ingredient in Star-San), and caffeine can be found in many brews that include coffee.

I wish you luck in your Coke-a-cola brew :p

Not a coca cola brew but part of the recipe will be a drinking beverage, just probably not something you would imagine.

Not a coca cola brew but part of the recipe will be a drinking beverage, just probably not something you would imagine.

Just tell us. If people didn't like to experiment, they wouldn't have started homebrewing

all of the above.

Caffine is an alkaloid produced as a poison to prevent bugs from eating them. In small quantities, I'm sure its fine (like a coffee stout). Phosphoric acid (like in coke) would likely make the environment too acidic for yeast to be healthy.

SO...if you are going to ferment straight soda, it will probably taste like crap. I know some people (even BYO) have added different soda to beer with mixed results.

Back