Recipe Advice on a Summer Citrus Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazersgopewpew

Reaction score
So, the weather's warming up, I've had a few, and I had some time to kill, so I decided to try to come up with a good summer wheat using Beersmith.

What do you guys think of this? Any help or input is highly appreciated.

3.3 lb Wheat LME
3.3 lb Pale/light LME
6 oz Carapils

Est Orig Gravity: 1.048

Hops
0.6 oz Centennial (60min)
0.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
0.75 oz Cascade (5 min)
1.0 oz Citra (5 min)

0.5 oz Citra (Dry Hop ~7 days)

IBUs: 22.4

Misc
1.0 oz Chamomile (5 min)
0.25 tbsp Cardamom (5 min)
1.0 oz citrus zest (orange or lemon) (5 min)

1.0 oz Citrus zest (Dry hop ~7 days)

Planning on doing Dry hopping in the Primary.

1) Any comments on the hopping schedule? This would be my 4th brew and first attempt at dry hopping and I've still a lot to learn when it comes to hop timing and hop selection.

Just a side note that I'm not a huge fan of overly hoppy beers and usually like my beers to resemble a paralyzed rabbit (not a lot of hops), so would this come out too strong?

2) I'm looking for a nice citrus aroma/taste but nothing too strong and without too much of that hops aroma added in that might come with more aroma hops added. Would the dry hopping with zest achieve that, because in my last brew, I used about 2 oz of fresh zest in the last 6-7 min of boil with no real detectable citrus in the final product.

3) Lastly, the Yeast. I saw one or two summer wheat recipes while searching through the forum that used a Kolsch yeast, claiming it came out amazing.
I'm considering using the WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch strain.

What's everyone's opinion on the whole kolsch vs Wheat yeast strain thing?

Sorry everyone for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

I have read that a Kolsch yeast at a 64 F ferm temp will make for an excellent American wheat beer; California/American ale yeast and American Hefeweizen yeast also work nicely as well. My only concern would be that the large amount of late hops and citrus zest might turn out a bit muddled, but that's just a guess. How'd the beer turn out?

Back