Hoppy IPA/Wheat Hybrid Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got some ingredients lying around, and figured I would brew some beer this weekend. I wanted some input. The recipe is below.

For a 5gal batch

10lb Pilsner Malt
5lb Flaked Wheat

Mash at 153F for 75 minutes, mash out at 170F for 10 minutes.

1oz of Bravo at 90 min.
3oz of Bravo at 1 min.

Safbrew WB-06 yeast

What do you think? It's kind of a Saison/Hefe/IPA all mixed up into one. I only have 4oz of Bravo, or else I'd use more hops. I really want to see what Bravo tastes like on its own, I've heard great things about it.

I would save some of the Bravo for dry hopping if you want an IPA type hop aroma. Otherwise it looks fine. I did a Hoppy Hefeweizen last summer and really enjoyed the results, the mix of banana from the yeast and citrus from the hops worked well. I might back down the gravity a bit, as is you are looking at ~1.080 with 70% efficiency, I think with the amount of hops you have it might work better closer to 6% ABV.

Given the limited amount of hops, I would focus on where they will have the greatest impact (Bittering, Flame-out, Dry Hop).

Do you think I could sub out another hop for bittering and shift all of the Bravo to the end/dry-hop? By the way, love your blog, Mike. I've heard you on Basic Brewing numerous times and your immense brewing knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Also, you got me in to Kombucha.

I put the recipe as is in Hopville. http://hopville.com/recipe/471956/american-wheat-or-rye-beer-recipes/hoppy-wheat-beer

Thanks.

You can use pretty much anything for bittering (I use Columbus to bitter IPAs regardless of the aroma hops I'm using). High AA% hops are often best since you can use less. Then do 2 oz each of Bravo at the end of the boil and for a dry hop.

Thanks.

You can use pretty much anything for bittering (I use Columbus to bitter IPAs regardless of the aroma hops I'm using). High AA% hops are often best since you can use less. Then do 2 oz each of Bravo at the end of the boil and for a dry hop.

Sounds good. I have plenty of other hops, I just wanted to feature the Bravos. I will use something else for bittering. How many ozs of bittering hops would you recommend?

How bitter do you want it? For an IIPA that big I'd use ~3 oz of high AA% hops. Not sure if you want to leave it more of a wheat beer though with milder bitterness.

How bitter do you want it? For an IIPA that big I'd use ~3 oz of high AA% hops. Not sure if you want to leave it more of a wheat beer though with milder bitterness.

Alright, sounds good. I think I'll make it pretty bitter, I love huge DIPAs and have plenty of hops lying around.

Did you ever end up making this? I was thinking of doing a bravo IPA soon and curious to see how this turned out

Latest posts

Back