Hydrometer creeps up slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRobrew

Reaction score
I suspect it's C02 or something, but I took a gravity reading of this apfelwein and it read 1.000, ... about every 10 seconds or so it creeps up .002 till it gets above 1.012.

Is the original reading right? I don't see that with my beer measurements. The sample tastes slightly carbonated.

So I actually gains weight? Mine always goes up if I dont let the sample gas off.

The final reading is correct. I'm not sure what is going on but your gravity is above 1.000.
I suspect temp change but ...

I'd recommend taking the sample, and then "degassing" it, either by stirring well or letting it sit a couple of hours. Then check the SG. Also, make sure you spin the hydrometer around to dislodge any bubbles underneath the hydrometer.

It's the gas bubbles clinging. I'd go off your initial reading, that's what I do. I usually spin in my hydrometer, it helps a little. Your SG isn't going to rise without adding anything, but the co2 will be coming out of solution and lifting that little sucker up.

Latest posts

Back