Scottish 70/- with...WLP029???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast?

• Go with the WLP029

• Stop by different LHBS tomorrow and plunk down $6 for WLP001

Results are only viewable after voting.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
Planning on doing 5 gallons of a Scottish 70/- on Saturday. Just got some ingredients from my LHBS via UPS (they're an hour away). Problem is I got WLP029 Kölsch yeast instead of WLP001. They're both fairly "neutral" strains, but I'm wondering if the Kölsch yeast is going to be too clean for the style. I called them and they said they'll be sending the correct yeast out right away but I'm not sure they can get it out to me by Saturday. Tomorrow we're heading to my parents' house so the kids can go crazy in their neighborhood and there's a homebrew store about 15 minutes from them so I could get some WLP001 there...

What do you think?

I'd be a little concerned about the ultra-clean ferment of the Kolsch yeast. I've got a few extra sachets of US-05 if you don't want to wait. :)

I'm a whore for WLP028 Edinburgh Ale(I believe it's the same strain as the Wyeast linked above), I use it in all my Irish/Scottish style ales and even regular stuff like pale ales and IPAs.

That said, I think 029 could definitely work. These ales are usually fermented colder anyway (stronger versions even sometimes use lager yeast).

For some reason the recipe called for WLP001. :confused: Scottish Ale strains sound more appropriate.

Thanks!

The California Ale yeast is incredibly versatile- you can use it in just about anything, save the Belgians. :D

I think the problem with the Kolsch yeast would be finishing too dry. I find this yeast can give a fairly fruity taste in a beer. Kolsch in Cologne, are light, but they do have a fruitiness to them. This yeast does accentuate hops so you'd have to watch that. I think this yeast could be very good, especially if coupled with a high mash temp to make the wort less fermentable and keep the FG higher.

I've got a Scottish ale planned in the near future and I plan on using White Labs Dusseldorf ale yeast

Yeah, I don't think a Kolsch yeast would be appropriate. Neither would 001 in my opinion. Scotch ales need low attenuation with very little hops aroma/bitterness. Both those yeasts are pretty much at the other end of that spectrum. If you'll be need a HBS anyway, get some scotch ale yeast, you'll be happy you did.

FWIW, I just checked my copy of 'Brewing Classic Styles'- the yeast recommendations are: WLP001, Wyeast 1056 and US-05.

:D

I'm gonna save the Kölsch yeast for a future batch of Kölsch (probably soon). Gonna grab some yeast at the HBS tonight. :D

Thanks again!

FWIW, I just checked my copy of 'Brewing Classic Styles'- the yeast recommendations are: WLP001, Wyeast 1056 and US-05.

:D

Jamil always uses 001 in his Scottish and I've never understood it. Scottish yeast gives a flavor that is missing(and IMHO needed ) when using a clean yeast like 001.
When I brew a Hefe, I use Hefe yeast
When I brew a Belgian, I use Belgian yeast
When I brew an English Bitter, I use English yeast
So why not on a Scottish

I'me getting ready to brew A scottish 80/- for the first time and am using WLP001 only because 4 or the 5 recipes for Scottish brews are using it. Also Wteast 1728 is mentioned

Jamil always uses 001 in his Scottish and I've never understood it. Scottish yeast gives a flavor that is missing(and IMHO needed ) when using a clean yeast like 001.
When I brew a Hefe, I use Hefe yeast
When I brew a Belgian, I use Belgian yeast
When I brew an English Bitter, I use English yeast
So why not on a Scottish

Agreed, I made a simple cream aleish type beer, 10 gal batch and split it between WLP001 and WLP028 (Edinburgh ale). The WLP028 carboy came out noticeably more malty and earthy than the WLP001, it actually tastes like a Scottish ale of some sort.

Back