Could my honey porter be done fermenting after 5 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
Hi buddies, I have 8 pounds of liquid extract and 1 pound of honey with white labs european ale WLP011 and it was bubbling violently for a few days and it seems to have suddenly stopped.

The temp is ok, could it really be done already??

thanks!

Yep . . . it could be. Give it a few more days - it won't hurt it. Then, do a hydro reading to see where you are.

RDWHAHB :mug:

Certainly, but since hydrometers are evil and only make you worry, you'll never be certain. I suggest you keg it and ship it to Oregon where it can be evaluated properly.

I've had 18 hour ferments. 2-5 days is nominal.

i participated in a group brew in september ... a robust porter. we dosed it at about 7 pm on a saturday and mine was finished by monday night. i heard the same from many other participants who took wort home.

Beer is good said:
Hi buddies, I have 8 pounds of liquid extract and 1 pound of honey with white labs european ale WLP011 and it was bubbling violently for a few days and it seems to have suddenly stopped.

The temp is ok, could it really be done already??

thanks!

Don't rely on airlock activity or flocculation to determine this. It's a bad indicator. I've had krausen fall after 3 hours, but airlock activity continue for a week.

According to ProMash, your OG should have been around 1.064, which is not that high, but I'd still wait at least a week before racking into secondary. The vigorous portion of the fermentation may be done, but it won't hurt to just wait. Or you could take a hydrometer reading and see where it is. Your attenuation for WLP011 should be 65-70%, so do the calcs and compare them to your hydro reading. Or, just do like I said, which is less work, and wait a full 7 days before racking to secondary.

While it might be done in primary, it still will need a little aging, but ales should turn around fast. I remember when I first started brewing we always thought it took 2 months to be ready. Now I think it takes 2 months to be gone.

Cool, I am going to rack it to the secondary this friday and fill the primary with a batch of irish red ale! hooray!

thanks for easing my fears... I'm still learning to relax and not worry

:cross:

Brewpastor said:
I remember when I first started brewing we always thought it took 2 months to be ready. Now I think it takes 2 months to be gone.

No mutual excusion there- that's the way most of my batchs work out!

Back