Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miafunk2003

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed a NB Oktoberfest, it's now time to move it to the secondary to lager but my chest freezer broke and don't have the funds to purchase one right now. So the question is what would happen if I just rack to secondary and leave it for about 2 months at 52 degrees. What would the lack of lagering do to the beer?

It will be fine. Just might not clear up as well but its nothing to get your panties all twisted up about.

+1 to breez7.

If you'd like to get it down to a lower temperature though. . . Are you kegging? If so, maybe keg now, and throw the whole thing in the fridge to lager it. If you're bottling, maybe give it a two week lager at 52F, then bottle, and throw the BOTTLES in the fridge for another month, and let it lager in bottles.

+1 to breez7.

If you'd like to get it down to a lower temperature though. . . Are you kegging? If so, maybe keg now, and throw the whole thing in the fridge to lager it. If you're bottling, maybe give it a two week lager at 52F, then bottle, and throw the BOTTLES in the fridge for another month, and let it lager in bottles.

+1

I've got a Dortmunder Export in my fridge in bottles right now. It's just starting to clear up and it's excellent. Two week primary, two week carb.

So the only point of lagering is to make the beer clearer? And should I do a d rest?

So the only point of lagering is to make the beer clearer? And should I do a d rest?

In most cases yes, just clearing. Some German lagering practices are a lot more complicated and involve ratcheting temperatures down in a very controlled manner according to how much extract is left in the beer. I'm sure this has some effect on the beer, true lagering is supposed to yield beers that are "creamier" and smoother. My Dort that I sampled yesterday was beautiful after only ten days in the fridge, super clean, nicely expressed malt, just delicious.

Taste your beer. If it seems buttery, just let it sit longer, or just move it to room temperature for a couple of days. If you had a good ferment with enough yeast, you probably don't need a diacetyl rest.

Awesome I thought without lagering it was gonna ruin the beer. I will be checking SG today so I will taste and see if it needs that d-rest. Thanks once again!!

Well, without lagering you're going to be left with additional proteins and tannins, and that will give the beer off-flavors. But you can lager in the bottle, or the keg. (Bulk lagering will go faster, so give it some extra time.) So yeah, give it some time at 50, then throw it in bottles, let it carb, and then crash chill them for a month or so, and you'll be fine.

Well just checked SG after 2 weeks at 52 degrees and its at 1.019. Tried it too and it tastes amazing. So pericles your suggesting i put it in bottles now with priming sugar leave it at room temp for a couple weeks then put them in fridge at 35?

Yes. I would bottle now, and give the beer a week to carb. Then try a bottle; if the carbonation is what you expected, throw the rest of the bottles in the fridge for a month and try again.

Would leaving it in the secondary for two months remove the tannins and protiens ?

Would leaving it in the secondary for two months remove the tannins and protiens ?

No, not necessarily. You need the cold. It causes the proteins and polyphenols (tannins) to precipitate and drop out of solution. It's what is usually referred to as "chill-haze". Ideally, this is done in the bulk vessel, then the clear beer is packaged. However, it can be done in the keg or bottle as well. My bottles usually take a week or two before they begin clearing. You can watch the level of haze as it begins to fall. After a month, they're usually brilliantly clear.

Alright so I'll be doing what Pericles suggested and bottle wait for them to carb up then stick em in the fridge. Hope it turns out good.....:/

Back