A yeast for a strong porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a strong porter, something that will approach 10% ABV. I have a couple of yeast strains that I really enjoy the results in middle of the road porters, namely S-04 and Munton's Gold, but I don't know if they will be the best choice for something like this.

What recommendations would you guys have? I don't mind buying a new yeast strain, even if this is a one-off beer, as it is for a good friend's birthday.

Put a twist on it and use a lager yeast and lager it...ie wyeast munich lager. I used this yeast on an oatmeal stout and lagered that badboy for 3 months. It was fan-effing-tastic.

I'm a big fan of a few of the common British strains in porters. WLP002 (one of my favorite yeast strains), WLP013, Wyeast 1028, or 1098. Those would be my top selections, should produce a beer within style guidelines, and tolerate 10% ABV.

I'll put my vote in for the WY1728. I've made a couple porters with this, all with good effect. It handles high gravity worts with ease, leaves a great, malty mouthfeel, and is seems to be very versatile at different temps; very clean at lower temps and a mild but noticeable (and pleasant) British ester profile at higher temps.

Thanks for the replies!

I have been keeping the temperature of the water bath in my fermentation chamber between 59 and 63 Fahrenheit with porters so far. Should I be bumping this up a little for a strong beer such as I am contemplating?

Should I be bumping this up a little for a strong beer such as I am contemplating?

Depends on the yeast you use and how you want it to taste. Temp will affect attenuation, ester production, and other characteristics. You have to have an answer to these 2 questions first, then you can decide upon a fermentation temp.

Back