Has anyone made a device to fill multiple bottles at once?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john2364

Reaction score
I am a new user here but I have been brewing for awhile. I have searched for someone who has done this but I have not found it. I am thinking of building a device that will fill 4 bottles at a time. I was hopping someone with more experience could tell me if it has been done and possibly what problems could be encountered. I have a simple design in mind but I will have to draw it out and post it later.

They certainly exist commercially. Not sure about DIY, but are you looking at doing a gravity feed for uncarbonated liquids, or is it for bottling carbonated liquids?

Gravity feed would be easier, on/off valve, down to a 4 way splitter with bottling wands. Just having to make sure they all get in correctly and fill at the same rate (if a hop gets one stuck or something).

Likely more difficult for carbonated liquids.

My idea is basically a manual gravity feed with 5 way splitter and 4 bottling wands as kevin mentioned. I figure it should not cost much more then $20.

BYO had a DIY article about making one of these. They essentially made a manifold out of PVC and attached a few bottling wands to it.

My main concern is whether there would be issues with uneven flow rates. I also need to figure out a good way to brace bottle wands stiff in place so that they all press down evenly at the same time.

If I was to make such a thing I'd skip the bottling wands and just buy some small ridged tubing. Then control this with a single ball valve.
The biggest complication would be getting them to flow the same. The simple way is to run them out of a tube much larger than them. Say 3/4" to four 1/4" pipes. Also a crude filter could help. A stainless scrubbing pad and a rubber band rapped over end of a 3/4 or 1/2inch pipe works alright.

Jerry,

I was thinking about someting like that as well. My concern though is that there will be residual beer in the line after I shut off the ball valve which may continue to flow and overflow the bottle. It is possible that there would be a bit of vacume that may prevent the residual beer from flowing when the ball valve is shut off but I just dont know. What do you think?

Been thinking about this myself. I think it is best to fill a tube with the volume of beer you need per bottle. Then have a valve at the end of those tubes. So a valve from the bucket to a manifold with a number of hoses, open it, fill all hoses and close bucket valve. The place bottles under filler hoses and open the valves. This way you have an even fill. Not sure about trapped air and how to purge. I bet you could make something like this with pvc and vinyl hoses. Maybe use a large piece of pvc as the place to stage the volume for the bottles. Maybe have a pvc ball valve on the top of each filler line and one on the bottle.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/double-barrel-bottling-now-twice-fast-257264/

IMG_05406.JPG

Back