IceProbe directly in fermenting bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
Has anyone tried inserting the Iceprobe (or similar aquarium chiller) directly through the side of a plastic fermentation bucket to keep the wort at the ideal fermentation temperature? I'm thinking of using it with a single stage ranco temp controller & thermowell/stopper.

I'm a little worried that the flexibility of the plastic bucket wall will cause it to leak through the IceProbe hole when I move the bucket. I'm sure I could seal it with some kind of caulking (as long as it's foodsafe). Another concern could be sanitation, but I feel like this worries are overcome-able.

I'm debating between this approach and a water bath (cooler filled with water, chilled with IceProbe and controlled with Ranco & thermawell).

I'm a little worried that the flexibility of the plastic bucket wall will cause it to leak through the IceProbe hole when I move the bucket. I'm sure I could seal it with some kind of caulking (as long as it's foodsafe). Another concern could be sanitation, but I feel like this worries are overcome-able.

I'm debating between this approach and a water bath (cooler filled with water, chilled with IceProbe and controlled with Ranco & thermawell).

I like this idea better. I would be worried that the cooling element in the beer would maybe cause a temperature difference inside and maybe shock the yeast when it turns on an off (I may be wrong, I'm not sure exactly how one of these cooling elements work). Also with the second idea, you could dedicate a cooler as a swamp cooler instead of dedicating a fermenting bucket, and you wouldn't have to worry about sanitation. It seems like it would be easier to use, and then your not dedicating a bucket as "this one is the only one I can use for cooling".

I like this idea better. I would be worried that the cooling element in the beer would maybe cause a temperature difference inside and maybe shock the yeast when it turns on an off (I may be wrong, I'm not sure exactly how one of these cooling elements work). Also with the second idea, you could dedicate a cooler as a swamp cooler instead of dedicating a fermenting bucket, and you wouldn't have to worry about sanitation. It seems like it would be easier to use, and then your not dedicating a bucket as "this one is the only one I can use for cooling".

I've been having trouble finding a cooler large enough to fit both of my fermenting buckets. 150 qt coolers don't have the depth (and often don't have the height). 200 qt coolers may not even be big enough and they are usually expensive marine coolers.

I've been having trouble finding a cooler large enough to fit both of my fermenting buckets. 150 qt coolers don't have the depth (and often don't have the height). 200 qt coolers may not even be big enough and they are usually expensive marine coolers.

I still think that would be a better way to go, even if you can only fit one fermenting bucket in the cooler. If you put the cooling element inside a fermenting bucket, your still only going to have one bucket cooling the beer, right?

water bath is easy. Go find a bucket that's big enough to hold your fermentor, fill the airspace with water, and insert the cold probe

water bath is easy. Go find a bucket that's big enough to hold your fermentor, fill the airspace with water, and insert the cold probe

I guess a bucket/bin would work. I wanted an insulated cooler, but I guess the iceprobe would be able to keep the temp stable even without the insulation. It would certainly be cheaper.

you could even make your own cooler out of one of those rubbermaid type bins. Just line the outside of it with insulation and keep the lid on it, and maybe cut out a small hole for the airlock to poke through. I have an IPA and a mead in two different swamp coolers right now, both are not insulated but they both work "ok". I swap out frozen water bottles to keep them at the right temp. It just takes a little more babysitting. Im sure if they were insulated then they would work a lot better.

I guess a bucket/bin would work. I wanted an insulated cooler, but I guess the iceprobe would be able to keep the temp stable even without the insulation. It would certainly be cheaper.

Water's a pretty good insulator on its own, you shouldn't need to worry about a cooler. Hell, you could wrap a blanket or two around it if you want.

Back