Octoberfest question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcory77

Reaction score
i am sure this has been asked, but i couldn't find much.

I don't have lagering capabilities, so what is your thought about brewing an Octoberfest type of beer with the San Francisco Lager yeast? It should maintain lager characteristics, but at close to ale type of temperatures. Good idea? Bad idea? Mediocre idea?

Thanks!!!!

I just did that for an oktoberfest celebration. Used Vienna malt with some munich and a little bit of crystal. Fermented it right at the top end too, 68F. Really did a good job accentuating the malts while retaining some smoothness. Definitely wasn't as smooth as a full-blown lager, but it was smooth enough. Very drinkable. I was thinking next year of trying it at a lower temp, like 63F, but everyone liked it so much I might just keep it there.

I used Nottie (I know, dirty word) and fermented in the low 60s on a Rye Octoberfest. Turned out great. US-05 would be fine too. Kolsch yeast is another possibility...

Back