Just started my 6 Months in Afghanistan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG680

Reaction score
Well no home brewing or home brew, or even any beer for some time to come. I just got back from my first of many missions with the Army here in Afghanistan, and an Air Force guy let me tell you it is a whole new world. Cant wait to get back home and brew again. Keep up all the great talk and I will keep learning for when I get back.

Drink one for me,
John

one of the guys in our brew group spent 2 months over there... he said he managed to do a simple brew in his footlocker.... Ill ask him about it :)

oh yeah, and stay safe!

My FO last week was Afghan born and raised until he was 8... his father was a politician and was assasinated. I got to learn a lot about the country and thier cultures/history... very revealing.

Keep yourself safe, you are already a hero.

one of the guys in our brew group spent 2 months over there... he said he managed to do a simple brew in his footlocker.... Ill ask him about it :)

oh yeah, and stay safe!

So did I. I spent a year at Bagram Airfield. At first it was a 1.5liter bottle in a backpack hanging on the wall. Then I went to a 5gallon jug. I used apple juice from the chow hall and added honey, raisins, and dried cranberries from MREs, along with a little cinnamon. I made 5 batches. One went bad, but for almost free, we had 20 gallons of hooch. It actually was not bad at all. I've tried to reproduce it at home but it just didn't turn out the same.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on how you're doing and know that despite the fact you haven't met most (or maybe even any) of us, you have friends here that are hoping for your safe return.

Thanks everyone. It's not bad here, and I am sure it will go by fast, I like it here better than Iraq last year, Can't wait to brew again.

Back