Quick Recipe Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
Planning an APA-ish beer. Thinking 4.5 gallon batch partial mash partial boil. 5.75 #s Light LME
1 #s Crystal 60 (biab mash/steeped @ 154 for 60 mins)

Boil 11 litres(mash watered topped up to) and 1 # LME for 60 minutes.
60 minutes .5 oz Citra
30 minutes .5 oz Citra
10 minutes .5 oz EKG

Notty Slurry @ 62*

Does that hop schedule look ok? Still trying to figure out what hops I like to do what.

Thanks folks, about 8 hours from posting until I hit the LHBS.

What are you actually mashing? If you're just using crystal, you can't really mash that as it has no enzymes to convert starches, and LME doesn't belong in a mash in any shape or form.

That said, your recipe is technically on style, but your hop flavor and aroma are in practice far too light. You should definitely dry hop and try to get some more additions in at 0-20 minutes. Are you going to dry hop?

I agree on the hops - seems very light for an APA - unless you want a really lightly hopped ale. I would consider using something like Magnum or Centennial at 60 minutes, and then push the citra back to the last 10 minutes. I think an ounce of dry hop would be good too.

What is your goal as far as "hoppiness" - Maybe compare to sierra nevada . . . .more or less hoppy?

Yeah, I called it mashing, but really just steeping the crystal. Is 60 minutes overkill for that?

Hate to say it, but I don't think I've ever had an actual APA before. I live in sort of a craft beer wasteland.... Was just shooting for something light-ish, crisp with a citrusy hop flavour. I think brewers friend quoted me something like 37 IBU's, which seemed to me to be prominent without overpowering. You guys are saying I might net have enough flavour/aroma additions?

Had not planned to dry hop, but maybe I should? I'm scared of adding anything to the beer once it's sealed up. I don't even take gravity readings anymore, just let my Notty go for 3-5 weeks....

No need to steep for over 30 minutes, just make sure to do it in plain water and not with the LME added so you get maximum extraction and your grains don't soak up some of your LME sugars.

IBU's are only part of the tale of beer. Hops added in the last 20 minutes of the boil don't contribute much bitterness, but instead greater flavor and as you close in on flame-out, aroma. Dry hopping contributes maximum aroma. This means you can have two beers at 37 IBUs, one of which is a hop bomb and the other with almost no hop presence.

Back