Saison pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Yesterday when I bottled a Ginger Saison I noticed what appeared to be a pellicle (confirmed by looking at photos on HBT). It was about half the size of my palm. The beer tasted normal and I went ahead and bottled anyway. Gravity was 1.000 (OG 1.035 including 1lb of honey).

Have I got potential bottle bombs on the way ?
What should I do ?
Is a pellicle always a sign of a Brett or some other infection or can it develope under normal fermentation ?
Assuming the 1.000 means no more sugar for the Brett to eat I should be OK but what do you do in a case where a pellicle developes at a higher FG ?

In general, I would not bottle until I was relatively sure that I had a stable gravity. 1.000 is a mighty low FG, but it doesn't mean there aren't any sugars left in there. Wines, for example, often end up below 1.000 (because alcohol is lighter than water).

I suspect you'll probably be fine, but don't sleep with the conditioning bottles under your pillow or anything. You can drape a towel over the conditioning beer to keep the glass knives from flying around your living room.

How did it taste?

yes, it is low. The first saison I made started at 1.052 and finished at 1.004. I pitched this one on the cake from the first.
Tastes very good.

Ginger has a decent amount of wild yeast and bacteria on it, look up "ginger bug" and you'll see that ginger beer was traditionally produced with the wild organisms already present.

They don't occur during "normal" fermentation, so there's definitely something else in there, but it'll still be safe (to drink) and could still taste great.

As mentioned before, ethanol (and other products of fermentation) is less dense than water, so with a highly fermentable wort, the point of "no more sugars" will be < 1.000. So take the exact same precautions you'd take with any other FG.

Not trying to jack the thread..Just curious, How much ginger did you add and how much flavor did you get? Would you use the same amount next time?

No problem hijacker, I peeled and grated fresh ginger (300g before peeling) and added it at 20mins. Its tastes great. I'd be tempted to add a bit more next time. I reckon 300g - 400g after peeling and grating should do it.
Thanks for the replies.

Back