gelatin finings in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadget106660

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.new to the forum and based in Western Australia.
As its usually stinking hot here .crash chilling or even just keeping the brew in the correct temp range can be a challenge ( I use wet towels around the fermenter)I usually bottle straight from the primary.
I've got a brew that seems to have finished off in the primary now.SP is now stable .I am thinking of adding gelatine to the primary, to speed up the clearing process then waiting a week and bottling off straight from the primary.(just trying the reduce the volume of sediment in the bottles).
I haven't used the gelatine route before.
Have I got any problems doing this without transferring to a secondary?and will there be sufficient yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate?
Any help at all is appreciated

There will be plenty of yeast left to bottle condition. Gelatin works best combined with cold crashing. If you don't have a fridge to put your fermenter in, the way I do it is I have a large plastic tub that my carboy fits in. I pack ice around it and keep topping up the ice for a couple of days. It's a bit of a pain in the butt so I only ever do it if it looks like I have a particularly powdery yeast.

Personally, I'm in the long-primary crowd and advocate keeping your beer in the primary for at least a week or two after it's reached FG. Let gravity do the clearing for you.

Back