So .. Five weeks until National IPA day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
Looking for a tasty but powerful hop forward IPA to brew and have ready in 5 weeks .. Any suggestions people ?

Looking for a tasty but powerful hop forward IPA to brew and have ready in 5 weeks .. Any suggestions people ?

Check out the Avery website for home brewers. Scroll to the bottom and check out the Maharaja IIPA recipe. I brewed it up in January as written and it was awesome. I also did a portion with the conan yeast strain. Also awesome. Definitely ready in 5 weeks!

Powerful as in being a hop bomb or high abv? You could take any other IPA recipe and increase the base malt to get your SG up. Or you could add simple sugars.

I like the Zombie Dust clone (an all citra hop) recipe in the recipe section. The Lake Walk Pale Ale also has a great hop combination and it seems to be on the border of Pale Ale/IPA. What kinds of hops do you like? Piney? Citrus? Spicy? Earthy? Any commercial offerings you want it to be similar to? Maybe a Ruination Clone?

5 weeks should not be a problem. It should be even less of one if you keg.

Went ahead and got recipe kit from my local homebrew shop called Derek's Horseshoe Bender. It's a double IPA - 8.9% 163 ibus with 17oz of hops !! Most hops of any beer I've made so far and I've brewed Maharaja before

Went ahead and got recipe kit from my local homebrew shop called Derek's Horseshoe Bender. It's a double IPA - 8.9% 163 ibus with 17oz of hops !! Most hops of any beer I've made so far and I've brewed Maharaja before

Wow,that is a lot of hops. I hope it's not a 5 gallon batch!!!!

I've brewed Maharaja before

I have scaled their recipe down to normal IPA strength and subbed pale ale malt(3-4 SRM) for the standard 2 row and I like it even better than the Maharaja I buy at the store. It makes it a little more balanced with a bigger malt presence.

Wow,that is a lot of hops. I hope it's not a 5 gallon batch!!!!

... Yes sir , 5 gallon batch... It was a pain in the ass to gett all that into muslin bags in hopes that I would save myself from the excess hop sludge , but it did me no good .. Prob lost almost a gallon of wort to absorption

Back