Last few beers sucked!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
The last few beers I've brewed have been, just o.k. My first few were stellar. My next brew is going to be a German Wheat. It's my second all-grain, and I'm not too savy on what works well and what doesn't when it comes to grain.

How does this look (just looking for some QC before I move ahead)? I'd really like to get that hazy true German think this time. My last Heff was pretty clear!!??

5lb Red Wheat Malt
2lb 6 row lager malt
1lb German Wheat Malt
1lb Cara pils

Dry Wheat Yeast (Safale)

11QT water- Mash @130 for 30min
@149 for 90min

Sparge ?? QT water (will figure out later)

Boil for 60 min

1.0 oz. 5.3% AA Tettnager for 45 min
0.5 3.0% AA Saaz for 25 min
0.5 3.0% AA Saaz for 10 min

I'd go for some nicer liquid yeast if you have that option. I have used both the safale dry you have, and the white labs liquid hefe yeast. The WL yeast produced much more in the way of banana and clove flavors, and the resultant beer was much cloudier, to style. don't get me wrong, the safale was good, but using the high grade WL yeast produced a more 'hefe' weizen.

Does mashing at 149 seem a little low to anyone else? You'll probably get a very dry beer mashing that low. Most hefes I've seen mash at 151-152

Seems a little off for a German hefe to me. I would change to german hops, mash higher, change the 2 row to pilsner malt, use WLP300 or equal liquid yeast (this is the key for a hefe) and leave out the carapils. In fact, just start with this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35679

Especially if you have had a few off brews. Go back to a tried and true recipe. Ya just can't go wrong with EdWort's recipes!

Much as I advocate dry yeasts, the Safale yeast is not a hefe. It's good for American Wheats, but I wouldn't use it in a German.

The hops are ok.

Back