Brewing an IPA and adding Bitter Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeboard1

Reaction score
I am going to run an IPA tonight, I was thinking of Adding Bitter Orange Peel to the brew. I bought 1oz of Brewer Best Bitter Orange to add to the brew. I have had one person suggest to add it to the very end of the boil. I guess my question is that I want to add the essence of the orange to the brew but not have it get crazy over powered with Orange. There is a brewery here in Minnesota Called Surly that brews an IPA called Furious. It's amazing! The IPA has a hint of Orange on the nose and on the finish, this is really what I am going for in this IPA.

How much Orange should I add, when should I add it? Any imput would be fantastic.

Lastly I have read that Bitter Orange sometimes causes the brew to have a metallic taste, is there any way to avoid this?

I think the citrisy flavor in surly furious is developed by the hops they use, not by actual oranges.

That being said, if you wanna add orange Peel, add it at the end of the boil.

AFAIK Surly doesn't use any orange peel in their Furious, that citrus you're tasting is from the hops. Straight from their website:

STYLE: American India Pale Ale
MALT: Pale Ale, Golden Promise, Aromatic, Medium Crystal, Roasted Barley
HOPS: Warrior, Ahtanum, Simcoe, Amarillo
YEAST: English Ale

OG: 15º Plato
ABV: 6.5% v/v
COLOR: 27 ºSRM
IBU: 99

And Northern Brewer has a clone recipe kit that you can find the .pdf of on their site if you want to go that route.

BUT, back on topic, I would put the orange peel in at flameout. I don't think I've really seen any IPAs use orange peel, but it could make a pretty interesting product. And maybe not a full ounce, but that depends on your taste. I've only used it once in a witbier and used .75 oz, and it's a pretty pronounced orange flavor.

An ounce of the peel at the end of the boil will give a nice bitter orange flavor and shouldn't be too overpowering at all. I assume you are using the dried peel?

But Surly Furious is some good stuff. I had one last time I was in the Twin Cities for work, and that beer haunts my dreams.

I got that bitter orange aroma/flavor in my IPA from using Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade hops. Just comes from certain combinations of hops.

Thanks for all the info! I LOVE THIS SITE! It's so cool to have fellow brews help out the nubies!

Shownbou! The Surly Furious is incredible. Hands down the best IPA I have ever had. I keep it on hand all the time. The brewery tour is great!

Yes I am adding Dried Bitter Orange Peel.

I cracked the first few over this weekend. JUST AMAZING! Best brew I have done by far. The Bitter orange peel added a nice hint of orange and slight orange finisf to the IPA. Not over powering at all. I have gotten such good reviews from my friends that I already have another batch going.

I would suggest this to anyone interested!

Very Simple -

I used 1 Muntons Connoisseurs Range IPA Bitter can. Added 3lbs Dried Amber Malt Extract. And 1 oz. Bitter Orange Peel at the end of the boil. I did let in go in the Secondary for an extra 14 days.

Brewed a Double batch over the weekend because people are loving it so much. I am almost embarassed by how easy it is for such good brew.

Same here,my wife started liking it so much,I have to brew another batch of my BuckIPA. Version 2 will have 1lb more malt,& change the Nugget hops for Citra to improve the malt background & get more of that orange flavor.

Latest posts

Back