Keg Fitting (Ball/Pin) Lock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
Can you change out fittings to have all the fittings be ball lock or pin lock? I have been finding a number of folks selling off equipment, but it is a mix of ball and pin lock kegs. I have found folks selling off chest freezers so the obvious next step is keezer with 5-7 kegs, but I want to have the same fittings on each one.

You can, but I'm not sure how complicated it is. I remember running across a place online that was taking pin-lock kegs and converting them to ball-lock. I'm sure someone on here has tried, so I'll let them answer how tough it is, but it can be done.

Rather than set up half pin-lock taps and half ball-lock taps, I've seen some people end their tap in a QD, then have a set of ball lock connectors with a QD and pin lock with a QD. Its a little more money, but might make things easier.

By the way, if you haven't bought anything yet, I'd look at getting pin locks. It seems like the last year or two there's been more pin-locks on the market, so you can normally find them for cheaper than ball-locks. They are slightly different sizes though, so take that into account when setting up your keezer.

If you do buy a mixed lot from someone, you can easily sell off the ball lock stuff or trade for pin-lock. Ball lock kegs usually go for a bit more, as they are getting more rare to find used.

There were several different pin-lock and ball lock posts used for different manufacturers. You can buy different posts if the thread size into the keg is the same. It's a real pain trying to research it or find someone that's an expert on it, however.

I think a few of the vendors here on homebrewtalk stock or make posts, so send off a few emails if that's the route you want to go. There are also some adapters I think Chicompany sells, but they will add to the height. And, finally, if you get quickdisconnects with threaded instead of barbed connectors, you can swap which disconnect is on your gas or beer line.

As far as keg sizes, the pinlock kegs are about 9" in diameter, and about 24" high (with connector). Ball locks are 8 1/2 " diameter, and about 27" high. I say about, because there are some variations between manufacturers and what connector is used.

Back