Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I have some cherry syrup that I've been using (cherry juice and sugar) and maybe I'm just being dense today but I for the life of me can't figure out how to figure out the gravity of it.

When I put a drop of it on my refractometer it is off the scale.

When I mix equal parts syrup and water it it is off the scale.

When I mix 1 part syrup to 7 parts water I end up with 11 Brix.
But when I mix 2 parts syrup to 7 parts water I end up with 19 Brix.

What is a simple way to figure out the sugar content of this syrup?

I'm not positive on this, but i think they way they measure the gravity of extracts and things of that nature is using a ratio of 1 pound of sugar/extract/syrup in 1 gallon of water and then measuring the gravity of the solution.

My only concern with that is that I have to waste 1 pound of syrup and that seems like it would only give me the gravity of 1 gallon of water mixed with 1 pound of syrup.

I'm seeking the gravity of just the syrup so that I can add it into Beersmith. Off to do some more research.

Thanks for the info!

Does the bottle list the sugar content on the nutritional information. Perhaps there is some way to figure the gravity based on the (sugar content per serving x number of servings)/volume, or something like that?

that isn't so surprising... refractometers do not behave well at high concentrations (not linear).

If you could dilute it down further you may get some reproducible results.

I have some cherry syrup that I've been using (cherry juice and sugar) and maybe I'm just being dense today but I for the life of me can't figure out how to figure out the gravity of it.

When I put a drop of it on my refractometer it is off the scale.

When I mix equal parts syrup and water it it is off the scale.

What is a simple way to figure out the sugar content of this syrup?

Well then you have something between 77 and 66.5 brix. 71.75 would be good enough for me.

Back