heating up fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonster

Reaction score
Greetings All,

Even here in vegas, my garage gets a little to cool to make ales. I have an old fridge with a johnson controler. What do you folks do to warm up the chamber. it will get down to 53 in the chamber on its own. I know I could make lagers. right now I have a cailifornia common fermenting now. it is currently sitting at 58 degrees. I was thinking maybe one fermenter doing a lager and another wraped with an electric fermentation heater. But i have questions about that device and my glass carboys.

THanks all,

Mike

fermwrap works great wrapped around the fermenter. You will want either a two stage or another controller for the fermwrap though so that you won't get too warm.

I am starting to have the same problem with my fridge as this is the first winter I have had it. Today I wrapped the fermenter in a blanket in the fridge and will be monitoring it for the next day or so to see if I have to bring it inside. Hopefully the heat from fermentation will be enough to keep the fridge warm enough. My only other idea would be to buy a heating pad, put that below the carboy, then wrap everything in a blanket in the garage and hook the heating pad up to the temp controller.

Thanks for the replies, looking at the fermwrap. but also looking at a reptile floor mat like the one at williams breiwng. I need to get a move on this. I just gotta brew this sunday!!

Mike

Back