Strange (To me at least) Looking Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senoird

Reaction score
The entire yeast cake looked like this no hard muddy looking cake but this clump looking trub. This was done with a starter (1st starter ive done) and the hops were strained before dumping into primary. Is this normal? Before dumping into secondary and seeing this ,while doing a hydro on it and tasting it was actually damn good.

yeast.jpg

what type of yeast? I've had clumpy looking cakes like this with English strains. They tend to form large clumps while still floating, then settle that way. Some strains will even start to floc on the stir plate.

Looks like the typical ugly dregs from the bottom of the bucket. Nothing to worry about. A weird yeast cake just means that....

You have a weird yeast cake. ;)

It is a cream ale. Used White Labs Cali Ale 001. Well it tasted great just my first brew with a starter, been pitching directly from vial (with no issues) and decided Id try a starter. Did use Whirloc in it maybe that is its effect on it? Making sure, thx guys.

Back