Is my fermentation doomed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suhornet84

Reaction score
So yesterday I brewed a Blonde Ale. I transfered the wort to the 5 gallon fermenter and pitched the yeast around 3:00 or so. I just realized this morning that I didn't put any water into the airlock. How will this effect my fermentation. What are the chances that it has oxidized?

Don't worry. Oxidation takes place after the beer's fermented. I wouldn't worry for the first day or two. I actually don't use an airlock at all for the first 24-36 hours. I put loose foil on the top or have a blowoff going into an empty bucket.

Yeast need oxygen to grow, and once fermentation starts up they'll start putting out CO2 with will form a "blanket" of gas over the beer.

Oxidation really only becomes a concern once the beer is fermented, but as long as you move the carboy/bucket gently and rack carefully you will most likely never have an oxidation problem.

The water/vodka in an airlock is mainly to keep bugs out. The CO2 from fermentation keeps pushing out the air.

I don't have a blowoff tube so I start the primary fermentation in a brewing bucket with the lid on loosely. When the krausen dies down I rack into a carboy and get an airlock on. I can get more beer in the carboy from this too.

Back