recipe check - hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
My lager recipe from the HBS has me adding 1 oz cascade at 60 mins and another at 15mins. Isn't 60mins long to boil the first set of hops?

My lager recipe from the HBS has me adding 1 oz cascade at 60 mins and another at 15mins. Isn't 60mins long to boil the first set of hops?

Long? No. That's how long you boil the bittering hops for, typically. Add 1 ounce at 60 and the other ounce for the flavor hops. What's the rest of the recipe?

+1 to yooperbrew's post

As the boil goes along the hops to less flavoring and become more of an aroma type deal. Think of the aroma you get from a Sierra Nevada pale ale. The hops flavor that hits your note right off the bat comes from the late hop additions. The bitterness that hits your tongue is from the early hop additions.

1 oz cascade for an hour is going to add a decent amount of bitterness to the beer but it's going to be in flavor not something that blasts your nose. If you add some other hops near the end those will be the prominent aroma you sense. 1 oz cascade for 60 is pretty normal.

4 pounds of pale, 3.3 pounds of dark extract. .5 pound roasted barley, .5 crystal. 1 oz cascade at 60mins, 1 once at 15min. saflager-23 as the yeast

Brewed two nights ago. Bubbles started as of yesterday midday! But i am worried about my OG reading. I didn't realize the tip of my hydrometer was broken off untill after the beer was locked in the fridge.

I got a reading of 1066. The hydrometer would have been lighter due to the lost tip. UNLESS when i sprayed starsan into the thief some got into the hydrometer.....

Should i just forget about the OG or keep working with that number?

Back