Is a Belgian Quad BIAB possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alers22

Reaction score
My homebrew club acquired a 53 gal bourbon barrel and we have decided to brew a Belgian Quad to fill it with. I am a BIAB brewer and I use a 15 gal keggle. Is it possible to brew the recipe below using the BIAB method? I know I can handle the volume but can I reach the OG? I have heard that BIAB does not lend itself to higher gravity beers. Should I supplement the mash with extract? If so, how do I figure out how much?

Thanks!!

Barrel-Aged Belgian Quad
OG 1102
FG 1024
IBU 31
15# Pilsner Malt
1.5# Munich Malt
2# Belgian Candi Sugar (Clear)
2# Cane Sugar
2.5# Czech Saaz Hops (4% AAU)
White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast
Mash at 149F for 90 Minutes
Boil for 90 Minutes to reduce the DMS
Begin Fermentation at 63DF, rising to 72 over the course of a week

>. I know I can handle the volume but can I reach the OG? I have heard that BIAB does not lend itself to higher gravity beers.

I do BIAB. For higher gravity beers, I hold back some water, and after mash out, I drain/SCOOB* and then place the grain bag in a smaller pot with 168F water for 5+ minutes, stirring, so as to extract additional sugar. You will be amazed at how much extra sugar you can extract using this method.

Mashing in 7 gallons will yield less than mashing in 5, and performing a sparge with 2. It may not be worth it for a lower gravity beer, but at 16.5 lbs you will see. Take a refractometer reading of both volumes of wort, and figure how much sugar you are adding from the 2nd batch. Or you can try an experiment - make the same high gravity recipe twice, mash one with all the water, and mash the 2nd one with 2+ gallons held back, and sparge with teh held back water.

When I say sparge I mean set the bag in a smaller pot, add hot water, stir it for 5 minutes so the water covers everything, and flows through it then drain/SCOOB again. Just pouring water on the bag or a few dunks will not get the same kind of yield.

SCOOB = Squeeze the Crap Out Of the Bag

PS - Does one really have to mash for 90 minutes, even at a lower temperature like 149? I would think after 60 minutes, you are going to get very little extra conversion, maybe 1-2 points?

SCOOB! I like that and have never heard of it.

Not sure if it will work on your system, only you can tell us that but I'd say it's worth a shot.

Thanks ArcLight, that's just the input I needed. I will post my results...hopefully successful!

Totally doable, plus some! A 1.060 ten gallon batch will be an easy 1.13 5 gallon batch if you wanted to.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/my-first-10-gallon-biab-stove-top-brew-50-qt-kettle-352965/

This had 18.4 lbs of grains with a 1.5 qt/lb mash . . . .veery heavy! I did use one hand to lift this bag soaking onto a chinese colander without spilling too much. I would be comfortable to do it in the 25 lb range with my wife to help the colander next time around.

And to answer the original question, there is no need to supplement with DME. You have a good amount of sugars in the bill which I would add after primary fermentation is raging for 3 days or so. Mashing at 153 has yielded the best results for the the guy at Wyeast after some experimenting. I like to use 153 as my mash temp too but havn't testing the lower mash range and my beers are awesome in my eyes. My first AG biab was a saison with a 12 lb. grist and this beer was the best saison I've ever had. Up against a Colette? I would stick up my nose at the Colette now. DMS troubles with the boil at 60 minutes with a Pilsner base? Who knows? I never smelled it or tasted it and have used it for all my brews pretty much. I only did 90 + minute boils once I started doing AG.

ArcLight said:
>.

PS - Does one really have to mash for 90 minutes, even at a lower temperature like 149? I would think after 60 minutes, you are going to get very little extra conversion, maybe 1-2 points?

I mash generally for 60 then iodine check for conversion if converted I mash out. If not mash longer...

I've read people getting conversion in 15 minutes. Not sure I'd try only mashing that short but if your starches are converted. Shorter brewday.

lets not forget, you aren't actually mashing that high of an OG, alot of it is from the sugars. you shouldn't have any issues

Back