no head on my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingC

Reaction score
I tried a bottle tonight from my second homebrew (a honey kolsch) that had been bottle conditioning for two weeks. after pouring there was little to no head from the pour. the beer itself had a slight off flavor to me, also. It seemed to bitter for a kolsch. is two weeks long enough for a bottle condition? or should I give her a couple more weeks? possibly cold condition for a bit? I am still a noob to this whole homebrew scene so any information or helpful suggestions would be great. thanks. :mug:

Two weeks might be enough to carbonate some beers, but it sounds like yours isn't one of those :D

Give it a couple more weeks. As long as you have some carbonation already, it doesn't sound like there's a major problem. More time should do the trick.

was it carbonated?
at room temp bottled beer is usually carbonated after 7-10 days.

kit beer? all malt extract, or were there any specialty grains you had to steep? grains can help with head retention since they haven't been processed as much as dry or liquid malt extract.

also most dish soaps contain rinse agents that'll make your glass kill the head. you can buy the stuff bars use, or simply wash them with salt water, or use a dish washer without any Jet Dry in it.

if the beer is tasting good, then you're on the right track and with time/experience and possibly better ingredients you'll refine your beers significantly.

Back