Blew my lid but didn't re clean the lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millerspiel

Reaction score
I left the house after checking the fermenter and 2 hours later the lid blew off with a huge mess. I know I just joined the club. I quickly recovered it and put in a blow off tube. Unfortunately during all the commotion of trying to get it cleaned up before my wife got home and getting the blow off tube sanitized and inserted I never re-sanitized the lid. I had just washed my hands before I picked it up and replaced it. Did I blow it (pun intended)? Should I take it off and sanitize it or just let it be and pray?

By the way I am making a russian imperial stout with an OG of 1.088. It has a ton of activity going on. This is my first big beer.

it's probably too late either way, but you're likely fine. but, more info would help...did it pop completely off and land in a pile of dog s#*t or did it just pop off on one side?

I think you are fine. I have no real science to back this up. That much activity should've protected it enough and when the krausen drops the ETOH in the wort should kill off any ninjas. RDWAHAB!

thanks, I have decided to let it go and pray. the top was on the carpet bottom side up. It is very active. pumping out lots of krausen in the blow off tube. Not dog s@#t.

Back