Steeping specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to be brewing a Irish Red Ale from AHS. This kit comes with specialty grains that are to be steeped. Their instructions say to steep in 2 1/2 gallons of water, but if I recall some posts or something I read, it shouldn't be that much water. Should I go with 1 gallon of water to steep these? Does it even matter?

Thanks for the help!

Steeping doesn't really matter. The easiest way I've read is place in the pot raise the temp and remove one it's reaching boil. Not much in the way off tannins or fermentables will be extracted. that way saves timing and holding temperature.

Doesn't matter much for steeping, although you can have too little water. The biggest problem in steeping is having too small of a bag, so the water can't flow through the grain.

When they say steep in 2.5 gallons, they assume you're only going to be doing a half boil for your 5 gallon batch. I recommend following the instructions exactly because the hop utilization is calculated specifically to that boil volume. Of course, if you have the means to boil a larger volume and don't mind a little more bitterness, go for it.

Bobby_M said:
When they say steep in 2.5 gallons, they assume you're only going to be doing a half boil for your 5 gallon batch. I recommend following the instructions exactly because the hop utilization is calculated specifically to that boil volume. Of course, if you have the means to boil a larger volume and don't mind a little more bitterness, go for it.
Ditto. Steep the grains, then do the boil with the same water (amount). I have this one in the bottle now for a week and will be "testing" it this weekend. Tasted good at bottling.

I read that too, Orfy. Fact, when I started brewing, that's what I did. Steeped until water was ready to boil, then remove. I read it off some website. Then, after joining this marvelous forum and to my horror, you shouldn't steep past 180. Brew turned out OK, in fact, I still have some of that first batch left over and it is still by fay, my SWMBO favorite. Go figure.

Back