Foam issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marbee777

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried many many ways to reuce the foam coming out of my keg but without any luck. I know the serving pressure should be around 10psi. My fridge is at 2C. The line is about 18 inches and I tried shorter and longer.

The problem is filling a glass or even a pitcher its only foam coming out. I think it could be the small plastic cheap tap i'm using (the little black one).

Think I should get a tower instead.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

:mug:

Mario

As I understand it a general rule is one foot of line for every 2 lbs of pressure. The longer the line the slower the flow, if your line is to short your beer moves fast and you get foam. If your line is 18" your beer is just flowing to fast.

I agree with the others that your line is too short.

But try this as a quick fix:
pop the pressure relief valve and bleed off the pressure keep, droping the pressure until the beer bearly flows out. That should do the trick for a temporary fix.

The problem with doing that is you'll need to recharge you keg back to 10psi to keep your beer from going flat.

Also what pressure did you carbonate at?

bradsul said:
18 inches is really short. I have 6' of line for serving at 8C and 8PSI and I also use a picnic faucet.

funny, I use 2 inches of beer line and use a picnic faucet at 8 psi and 42F. done that with about 60+ kegs now and never had a foaming issue.

Chimone said:
funny, I use 2 inches of beer line and use a picnic faucet at 8 psi and 42F. done that with about 60+ kegs now and never had a foaming issue.

If you use a picnic tap theres no need for all that line.
I get a ton of foam with less line, might be a difference in the type of line.

small ID line

I dont have taps installed on the door of my fridge....yet

I open the door and just use picnic taps. Ill take pics later on when I get home. Trust me, they work great

Very easy to just take off and clean, no worrying about all that excess tubing

Thanks for all of your replies, very much appreciated. I will put a longer line as every one pointed out.

Thank you again!

Cheers!

here is what I was talking about earlier. Never had a single issue. If you use picnic taps this is the best way. my other tap on the keg next to it is even shorter. Makes it easy to remove and clean before using again too.

3394-pics.jpg

your keg has a hard-on
Chimone said:
here is what I was talking about earlier. Never had a single issue. If you use picnic taps this is the best way. my other tap on the keg next to it is even shorter. Makes it easy to remove and clean before using again too.

3394-pics.jpg

I was having foam issues. turns out, my old regulator was putting out 22 psi when the gauge read 10.

I bought one of the bleeder valves which told me the story.

I've had the same problem with my tap recently. I think I'll try extending the line myself. LOL at that picture.

JamesKY said:
I think I'll try extending the line myself. LOL at that picture.

well laugh if you want. I've had just about 65 kegs Ive brewed that used this method. But use more hose if thats what you feel you need.

well, I might have to try the short line method.

I tried dispensing at 10 psi (new bleeder valve), I tried dispensing at 6 psi. I tried dispensing at 4 psi and it STILL is coming out too fast.

this is at about 40°F and five feet of "foam free" beverage line. Cobra tap.

With that set up, I'd get a female keg and see if they mate.
You could start a business as a keg breeder-everyone's always looking for more kegs. :)

Just because you set your reg to 4 psi (as the gauge reads) you might have higher pressure in the keg if you have check valves installed (and you should). You have to purge the pressure out of the keg first, then apply the lower pressure gas. Then again, as mentioned, these gauges are not that accurate to begin with. If you buy an older one used, it could be even worse. A few of mine read 8 psi lower than the reg is putting out. A cheap way to test is to clamp a tire pressure gauge into your co2 tubing.

Hi,

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions! Keg with a hard-on!? LOL!!

I cut myself 6ft of 3/16 clear food grade tube and still foam foam foam. I now suspect the regulator not working properly it is quite old and was purchased from a guy who bought it used too.

We can conclude form your posts that you go short or long it should not make a difference.

Now how do I know if I'm purchasing "foam free line"???

Thanks!

The length of the line absolutely makes a difference. The only reason why the hardon keg doesn't foam is that I suspect the pressure is a little lower than the gauge is reading and the fact that the tubing and faucet are being cooled.

I have different length lines on my kegger, two at 5' and two at 10' and the 5' pours foam on a 2.5 volume beer and the 10' doesn't.

Foam free line is just smoothbore 3/16". I don't think there's a "foaming" version of 3/16ths though. If the line is really clear, it's probably pretty smooth inside.

Bobby_M said:
Just because you set your reg to 4 psi (as the gauge reads) you might have higher pressure in the keg if you have check valves installed (and you should). You have to purge the pressure out of the keg first, then apply the lower pressure gas. Then again, as mentioned, these gauges are not that accurate to begin with. If you buy an older one used, it could be even worse. A few of mine read 8 psi lower than the reg is putting out. A cheap way to test is to clamp a tire pressure gauge into your co2 tubing.

Bobby,

the bleeder valve is just that...a valve with a gauge, set up to bleed off pressure in a controlled manner. yes, it's possible my bleeder valve gauge is inaccurate, also. it is new, fwiw.

I attached the bleeder valve and released the pressure until it was at 4 psi, and my HB was still mighty fast coming out of the Corny.

coyote said:
Bobby,

the bleeder valve is just that...a valve with a gauge, set up to bleed off pressure in a controlled manner. yes, it's possible my bleeder valve gauge is inaccurate, also. it is new, fwiw.

I attached the bleeder valve and released the pressure until it was at 4 psi, and my HB was still mighty fast coming out of the Corny.

Oh, I thought you just adjusted the reg to read 4psi. Many, bleeder valve... that's some fancy machinary.

Bobby_M said:
Oh, I thought you just adjusted the reg to read 4psi. Many, bleeder valve... that's some fancy machinary.

lol.

it's available from NB, www.northernbrewer.com/gas-handling.html scroll down to about the 8th item.

I was having these foaming issues, and it was cheaper to buy this to diagnose the problem than to buy a new regulator, especially if that wasn't the problem.

only NOW, I'll eventually have to buy a new regulator as well.

Latest posts

Back