Nate's Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tiles are cut

IMG_03461.JPG

grout going on
IMG_0358.JPG

all cleaned up
IMG_03614.JPG

IMG_03622.JPG

That looks fantastic! Man, I really need to lay some tiles, someday. It looks so great when it is finished. Do you seal the tiles/grout with anything to keep any spilled beverages from staining? or is that not a problem? Great job! How about an overall pic with the layed tile?

What're you doing about the gap at the edge of the tiles where it meets the wood? You going to grout that later and more precisely, caulk it, or just leave it as is? And I'm with NewB on wondering about what you're doing as far as stain-prevention. I'm getting prepped for my own keezer build in a month or three, and am trying to get all the info possible.

I thought i bought non-sealing grout, so it has something in it that doesn't require sealing. I may seal the grout anyway for extra protection.

As far as the border around the wood they make a grout like sealer in a tube (like caulk) that i found in our tile section at Menards. I will use that to fill the gaps.

i used some grout in a tube to fill in the ends where the tile gapped the wood. I also used it to seal the bottom of the coffin.

there are casters on this keezer.

So the "tower" portion is pretty much sealed off (not cooled)? Are you getting warm of foamy pours?

Building mine over the next few weekends and might do something like this. Only reason I am debating it is the fact that my freezer is pretty old and I could see it dying in the not to distant future. I don't want to put all this work in and then it kick the bucket.

The tower is pretty much sealed off, just a 1 1/2 inch hole where the 3 beer lines run up. It is not cooled, there is no fan blowing air up. I haven't noticed a problem with my pours - i would say it has a normal amount of head with it.

I would say dont add a fan or make any modifications 'til you try it out. You could always add a fan and some ductwork later if necessary.

thanks for the comments. i've had to do some modification. i took a 1/4 inch off the front because to tap handles were hitting the top of the coffin. i'll submitt pics again this weekend.

This may be a really stupid question, but how to you get the temperature of the freezer to be in the proper range for beer? I would assume you modify it somehow?

BTW.....awesome job!

External temp controller most likely - Ranco or Love or Johnson are the main players. I have a Ranco in mine, but will probably go with a Love for Keezer mkII

If you see hangliders photo from above i have the one one the right - its super easy. Also, i just have the probe in the feezer so I am measuring the air temp and making adjustments to that. My rational is that if i control the air more often the beer will fluctualte less. Others put the probe in a pot/tube/container of water and control to changes it liquid temp. I don't think either is wrong just different ways of doing it.

If youre looking at building and have questions, let me know.

This may be a really stupid question, but how to you get the temperature of the freezer to be in the proper range for beer? I would assume you modify it somehow?

BTW.....awesome job!

Great build, love the bead board and coffin. Did you put some sort of waterproof membrane between the tile and the OSB? I would be concerned about the moisture in the thinset causing the OSB to swell and popping the tiles loose. Especially with the raising and lowering of the lid to access the inside. Good call with the color match sanded caulk around the edge as grout will almost always crack between two dissimilar materials.

Back