Plate Chillers for Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just had a discussion about these recently. They're not as nice as they may seem.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64878
The shirron offers 11 plates but it's also very long. By my quick back-of-the-envelope calculations, you'd need at least the 20-plate model of these things to match the shirron, and by that point you are only saving about $10 by the time you factor in shipping ($14 from ebay for me, $8 from northern brewer for the shirron), and THEN you have to factor in the fact that the shirron has 1/2" NPT and garden hose threaded connectors which are pretty convenient, but the ebay one has 3/4" NPT fittings which are not so convenient. Plus, the shirron is a well-known chiller designed for brewing, and that's got to count for something.

I knew I wasn't slick enough to have seen that before someone else on HBT, and I knew there might be a catch :D. Still, it seems like it would do a great job....I think it's funny that we only trust 2 brands of pplate chillers. Coincidence? No, it's just that they've cornered the homebrew market and advertise in the literature. Anyway, I'm happy with my B3 superchiller, because I'm not ready to add time to the day cleaning that heat exchanger. ;)

Now that's what I call a plate chiller.

B-52-60-3.jpg

Back