Returning brewer from western MI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
I'm Tim, from the Battle Creek area in western Michigan. I began brewing in 1996 in the dorms of Ferris State University. Even with towels stuffed around every door, fellow residents still complained about the smell :cross: . We brewed on an electric hot plate in the bathroom (which was shared by two rooms) with a fan blowing towards an open window. It was exciting, and we put out two total batches, both of which turned out fine. I came back home that fall and didn't make beer again until 2000. I made about six batches over two winters, chilling my wort on the back porch as I hadn't any other way to bring it down to pitching temperature. The last batch I made was an attempt at my favorite beer, Bell's Two-Hearted. It really wasn't close but dry-hopping made it good nonetheless. I made an immersion chiller that spring and planted a Cascade rhizome, both of which I've never used for beer but they have stuck around.

Jump to present: I have evenings free for brewing and have renewed my love of real beer thanks to planning a weekend with the wife to the Winter Beer Festival last weekend in Grand Rapids. I've lurked here for a bit and signed up last night, with my first post being a response on the festival. I've always loved good beer and spent time on Rate Beer and the Beer Advocate. I guess I'm just sick of being lazy and drinking commercial. It's time to re-open the "Bristol Brewery"!!! Sunday I purchased the ingrediants for my comeback batch, called "Armadillo Pale Ale" due to the hop shortage and having to purchase Amarillo hops instead of my beloved cascade. This time the significant other is on board as well, so her next night off (Friday) will be brew night!! I'm looking forward to sharing experiences and ideas, as well as recipes if I can ever come up with something unique. Thanks for the site and the help.

I'm looking forward to sharing experiences and ideas, as well as recipes if I can ever come up with something unique

It's all been done before by SOMEONE, so just settle with sharing the GOOD. :)

Welcome to HBT! I'm a former Western Michigan (in the regional and collegate senses) native and Michigan is pretty strong here in terms of membership.

Hi again! Good luck with the brew! I'm *hoping* to brew tonight. Was supposed to be last night, but my friend, who was goign to help me brew AND replace the pads and rotors on his van, got here too late for both, so we did his brakes and he won't be here tonight, but my 8 yo is very eager to help. Should be a good time.

It's great that SWMBO (wife) is going to help you brew. I might ask my own, but she has been less than enthusiastic about it (Although she likes to see me enjoying myself while brewing) and my 13 daughter has <0 interest somehow. (I may torture her and make her help, cause I'm mean).

Where do you like to go for good food and beer in BC?

Actually, I don't dine much in Battle Creek as good food with decent beer all-in-one is non-existent. When I do go out, which is rare, I head to Cruiser's Pub in Kalamazoo for wings or the Big Burrito (they have beer now!). Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall and Cascarelli's (sp) in Homer are favorites for pizza as well. To tell you the truth I prefer to get a six-pack, grill some steaks, and stay in for a great meal. My favorite time of year is coming quickly. Late May and early June, I like to drive my Cherokee out front by the shore (I'm on a lake), put the Tigers on the radio, and cast flies to bedding bluegills. I'm looking forward to drinking my OWN beer while doing this!! But I must admit, Oberon wasn't bad for the past few springs:cross:

hey whats wrong with the griffon pub for food and beer? or arcadia for beer?

i mostly brew on weekends (2nd shifter) and i've got a coupla pretty good wheat beers for AG

Back