Belgian White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foulbrew

Reaction score
So I started a Belgian white last Friday My OG was off on the wort and it started off really strong and actually bubbled out of the airlock but it seems as tho all activity has halted there is a fair amount of krausen on the top but Im kind of worried could the air lock leak have affected the yeast?

Sounds like the airlock blew off? Re-sanitize, re-fill with sanitizer and stick it back in. If it's been a day or two, the yeast activity probably just cooled down. Sounds like whatever you used attenuates fast.

Going to say that you're probably fine. The airlock coming off could be a possible source of infection but it wouldn't kill yeast activity. Give it some time and see how it turns out.

So I started a Belgian white last Friday My OG was off on the wort and it started off really strong and actually bubbled out of the airlock but it seems as tho all activity has halted there is a fair amount of krausen on the top but Im kind of worried could the air lock leak have affected the yeast?

Sounds like the airlock blew off? Re-sanitize, re-fill with sanitizer and stick it back in. If it's been a day or two, the yeast activity probably just cooled down. Sounds like whatever you used attenuates fast.

Going to say that you're probably fine. The airlock coming off could be a possible source of infection but it wouldn't kill yeast activity. Give it some time and see how it turns out.

Agreed. You will likely be fine. That happens or happened at least once to just about everyone. Next time hook up a blowoff tube. Look them up in the search function. That will keep it airtight and let the yeast and proteins fall out into the water.

Relax! :mug:

Bubbling out of the airlock isn't really a problem for the beer. The problem comes when the airlock gets clogged and you end up with a pressurized fermenter.

If you are using a wit yeast and fermenting at wit temps, the "normal" thing to expect is a fermentation that goes like crazy for a couple days and then burns itself out quickly.

Latest posts

Back