Imersion chiller spacing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
I have a '50 immersion chiller. My procedure has been to place the chiller in the pot about :15 mins. before the end of the boil. At flameout I whirlpool the wort very well. Then turn on the chiller. This worked fine until I started making 10 gallon batches.

Once I've whirlpooled the wort I don't like to disturb it at all. That way I can get a good clean siphon into the bucket and leave as much trub behind as possible. But, with 10 gallon batches, my chiller rest on the bottom half of the pot and it never comes in contact with the wort at the top half of the pot. To chill the entire batch, I have to move the chiller around and around and up and down. Which stirs up the gunk in the bottom quite a bit.

It's not been that big of a deal. It usually settles down before I siphon. But I got to thinking: What if I spread the coil a little? (Kind of like a slinky.) That way I could spread the contact with the wort without disturbing the trub on the bottom.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. But, all of the coils I see on here seem to be pretty tightly wound.

Latest posts

Back