Dutch Oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
Anyone have any "leave it and forget it" dutch oven recipes? I'm just envisioning a summer filled with outdoor adventure, and cooking. You know, get the fire going in the morning, set the pot up, fish all day, come back and enjoy your slow cooked dinner :D That's if your tent's not on fire...

All day fire management (without being around) might be a problem, but I've never tried that, so can't say from experience.

One idea might be to do a hole in the ground cooking - dig hole, take hot coals from fire and line bottom of hole, put Dutch oven on top of coals, put more coals on top of dutch oven. You can use the same method without digging a hole, put the Dutch oven on top of hot coals and put other hot coals on top. The advantage of the hole is that it will help to hold in the heat over hours.

I like to slow cook chili, beef stew, chicken and dumplings.

I hear ya, MRL. My g/f dispises the dutch oven. Even on campouts.

On a serious note, anything that works in a crockpot will work in a DO.

a pork roast, some taco seasoning, some garlic, onion, carrots, worsteshier(sp), soy sauce, and a beer-preferable a dark beer but what ever you want is fine. cook all day long, either on the coals or in an oven at 250ish. When your ready to eat, pull out and shred pork mixing it in the juices. its a little wet but is so damn delish, melt in your mouth goodness and everyone who likes tacos will love this...mmmm, be making this tonite or tomorrow now. You have made me hungry....

Back