Paradise Saison... maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dialBforBong

Reaction score
I just made this recipe up, I've never brewed it before. I decided to put it up to get some feedback from some more experienced bewers..
I am shooting for a belgian/saison style ale with a stronger ABV
I'm shooting for a 5 gallon batch

1lb Biscut Malt
1lb Caravienne Malt
1lb Crystal 40
6lb Liquid Light Malt Extract
3lb Liquid Wheat Extract

2oz Saaz
1.5oz Hallertau
1.5oz Sterling

WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast

.5oz Sweet Orange Peel
.5oz Grains of Paradise
.75lb light Belgian Candi
.25lb Dark Belgian Candi
??(1lb. Honey maybe)?? instead of the Belgian candi

bring water to 155F steep Biscut, Crystal, and Caravienne malts for 20 minutes.
bring to a boil add LME and WME.
add 1.5oz Saaz, .5oz Hallertau, 1oz Sterling, boil for 15 minutes
add .5oz Saaz, 1oz Hallertau, .5oz Sterling for finishing, boil for 10 minutes

When should I add the Sweet Orange Peel, Grains of Paradise, Belgian Candis (and/or Honey)??
Proper Sparge Temp???
Pitch yeast at 70F
7 - 10 days fermentation?
7 - 10 days secondary fermentation?
7 days bottle conditioning

good to drink???

If you're wanting to make a saison, I'd go with a saison yeast (and I'd probably drop the spices too, but that's a matter of personal taste). Wyeast 3711 is a fantastic saison yeast and works well, doesn't stall out and it took my saison to nearly 9% abv and only stopped because it ran out of stuff to ferment and it left behind plenty of spicy flavors when it was done.

I did my sugar addition in the fermenter, just as the main fermentation was starting to peter out. If you use the spices in yours, I'd put them in the boil.

You're going to want to have more conditioning time than that, I think. The higher alcohol the longer you need it to condition (and carbonate, if you're bottling).

Thanks man! this is only the second recipe i've ever made and I haven't brewed either of them, so any critiquing is welcome. I'll post the new recipe in a few days, I hope to get a little bit more input before I try this recipe out

Back