Wyeast 3056 vs 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackmoe

Reaction score
Brewing up a hef this weekend and not sure which of these to use. The 3068 looks more like the profile I want but it says that ir requires 33% headspace?!?!?!

Has anyone used the 3068 with less headspace? If so how did it work?

Has anyone used the 3056 and did it give all of those nice banana/clove notes you were hoping for?

Thanks!

I used the 3068 recently in an All Grain Hefeweizen, fermented in a 6 gallon carboy (slightly more than 5 gallons), and it never reached the top. Howeve, that said, I think you should affix a blow off tube just in case. Mine came within about 2 inches of the blow off, even in a 6 gallon fermenter.

Also, I'm extremely pleased with the flavors produced by the 3068. If you use this strain, ferment it between 65 and 68 degrees, or I hear you produce too much "banana juice" like flavors. Just my .02. Cheers and good luck. :mug:

I've used both, and the 3068 definitely threw off more banana esters. Of course my temps were a bit too high. The 3056 came out more balanced, for my temps. Was a very nice hefe I did with some orange peel.....I'm gonna have to do that one again.

One thing that jumps out at me from Wyeast's site:

Ester formation is significantly affected by aeration and pitching rates.

When I used it, I didn't do a starter. Hell, it was my very first batch. So according to them, you could probably minimize this by pitching a healthy starter and aerating well.

I didn't do a starter on mine. . .might be better bet if you did one, but my fermentation took off within 10 hours. I aerated by sloshing a closed fermenter around for a few minutes. Seems to have been adequate. There was a good, but well balanced "banana" tone to my beer, but again, I kept fermentation around 65 deg. F.

SwAMi75 said:
When I used it, I didn't do a starter. Hell, it was my very first batch. So according to them, you could probably minimize this by pitching a healthy starter and aerating well.
I would pitch a good starter, but the last two wheat beers I've done (a Weizenbock and Hefeweizen) I've underaerated which is supposedly a technique used by some German breweries to increase ester formation (by stressing the yeast a bit). It really seemed to work in contrast to the first batch of Hefeweizen I did which was not nearly as estery as I wanted it. All three batches were done from the same original 3068 yeast.

Back