Sight Gauge Length how tall should it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
I want to order a sight gauge for my keggle. The distance from the port to the top rim of the pot is approximately 11" Now morebeer.com sells 2 gauges an 11" and a 16". the cost difference is very little. My question is with a sight gauge is it better to have it go over the rim of the pot or can it be a little under?
If anyone owes one and wants to pipe in about the quality I'd be interested in that too.

Sumo,

The sight gauge can be a little under the top of the pot as long as when you have the pot full of water it does not come out the tube, 11" should be fine. I have a weldless design on my 10 gallon system and it works great.

Sumo,

The sight gauge can be a little under the top of the pot as long as when you have the pot full of water it does not come out the tube, 11" should be fine. I have a weldless design on my 10 gallon system and it works great.

I will have to remeasure it to be sure.

I have the 16" from MoreBeer and I love it. It is very well made and does not leak. It is actually manufactured for commercial coffee pots, but they have the best price I have found even searching the net using the manufacturers part number.
16" seems to be the perfect length for a keggle. Any shorter and you will have to jump through hoops trying to secure the top without drilling into the keggle interior. 16" allows you to mount it as low as possible and still be able to drill and tap a hole above the seam in the "handle" area for the top support.

Back