Messy Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrawford

Reaction score
I have the world's smallest brewery. I live in a 400sf studio apartment and today i bottled one beer and brewed another. Needless to say the "brewery" was a mess. Wort everywhere, utensils everywhere, I hope to hell everything was "sanitary" and as I'm typing this my legs are sticking together from the sticky mess what was splashing around the kitchen.

Anyway - I brewed a dunkleweizen and just decided to pitch in to top of the secondary trub (Wyeast 3068) from the german wheat that I bottled.

A funny thing happened though. I washed the bottles in my dishwasher and then put them in the oven to sanitize them. So bottles were a little warm as i was bottling the wheat. I filled up a bomber set a cap on top and let it sit for maybe 2 minutes. It started releasing co2. I don't know if the warm bottle was just releasing co2 or if the yeast started eating the priming sugar but the cap lifted off the bottle and made a little tap noise. it was just like a bubbling carboy and the cap was rhythmical tapping on the bottle as co2 was coming out. sorta crazy. anyway that was my brew day.

here is a pic of the mess:
http://picasaweb.google.com/prcrawford/Beer/photo#5189221758210484290.jpg

Still looks like fun and the beer will taste just as good :)

But dam, 400sf is tiny.

Hi,
I would pick up a propane turkey burner and go out on the patio -- I used to brew in the kitchen, but it was always a disaster. Once I went outside everything became much easier.

Personally, I would try not to bottle with the bottles still hot - you could get off flavors in the beer from the heat or possibly even kill off your priming yeast. Better to let them cool down to room temperature.

Cheers,
Brad

If the bottles were just warm you should be fine. Beer at room temperature can still have about .9 volumes of Co2 in it from the fermentation. If you warm up that beer it will start to release Co2 so that is probably why your caps were tapping.

As long as the bottles are below 100 degrees you are fine with not hurting the yeast (Just don't keep them that hot :) )

That has happened to me before when bottling. As I filled bottle I set the caps on top and then was going to crimp them all when I was done. Towards the end of filling bottles the caps I put on first started popping off the bottles. I can't remember what batch it was, but it obviously had some pretty healthy yeast.

Back