are corny lid vents easy to replace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datchew

Reaction score
I have 3 lids like this:

883064112_D7Kz2-L.jpg

I want to have lids like this
883064271_NyXQ9-L.jpg

or like this

883064428_MPXDn-L.jpg

I'm assuming these are stamped or cast 304 stainless lids. Anybody ever mod these? I can weld them easy enough, but was thinking of simply machining them out and replacing them with a swagelock pressure release that just screws in.

Any suggestions? One of these?
883072663_ciwRr-S.jpg

i can tell you the one on the pin keg with no discons attached when the nut cracks or the thing leaks, no longer available. the bottom style is ~$8 for it. drawn 304. i have thought of just welding a plate on all of mine since i can't fill the ~1 1/4 hole with any other style relief valve.

I think the best option is to replace the entire lid. Unfortunately, the lids are pricey and somewhat elusive. I've got a couple of kegs with the "dome" type pressure relief valves which are no longer available. They are still holding up, but one of the nuts is partly sheared off, so it's just a matter of time before I will be having this same problem. My ace in the hole is that my friend came across a bunch of abandoned ball lock kegs and I may be able to cannibalize some of them for parts. I like the idea of patching the hole by welding a plate over it. You'd think the chinese would come through with some knock off keg parts and help us out. It should be a slam dunk for them to crank out some lids and such.

Looks like it'll be welding then. I can keep the heat down enough to prevent warpage I think. Looks like the easiest thing will be to take the whole valve section out with the bridgeport and weld in a pre-machined insert which will accept that screw-in valve pic I showed earlier.

Would still like to hear any ideas I might have overlooked.

Thx guys.

Looks like it'll be welding then. I can keep the heat down enough to prevent warpage I think. Looks like the easiest thing will be to take the whole valve section out with the bridgeport and weld in a pre-machined insert which will accept that screw-in valve pic I showed earlier.

Would still like to hear any ideas I might have overlooked.

Thx guys.

Would this item from KegConnection.com help

Pressure Valve Replacement Click on the description tab. They say if you call them with your issues, they will consult with you to help fix your valve issues.

They are also good to deal with. Normal disclaimer, don't work for them or gain from them

Pressure Valve Replacement Click on the description tab. They say if you call them with your issues, they will consult with you to help fix your valve issues.

They are also good to deal with. Normal disclaimer, don't work for them or gain from them

Hey! That's perfect. Thanks. :tank: Some work might still be necessary due to the size of the current installed valves/vents, but this is exactly what I had in mind.

hmmm, good point. They must have had others available last time I looked. Looks like the kegconnection might be your best bet then, unless you can find someone selling good lids. Looks like for $8.95 you get a weldless fix which you could weld on if you wanted. I should have grabbed more last time there was a pile of kegs at the scrapyard. I bought a couple for spares from kegs that had already been banged up.

That link, as the OP cited says this: Assume lid does NOT come with PR Valve or if installed, leaks.
Yes, thank you so much for reminding me what the OP cited, although I hadn't actually forgotten. :rolleyes:

My thought was that perhaps his new pressure relief valve might fit this $2 lid rather than welding over the old lids.

Whoops, I never said I could read. Sorry. I'm calling the local scrap yards today to see if they have any possibly laying around. If they're any crushed/overly damaged kegs with good lids I'll grab them for ya if I see any.

That looks like you drill out whatever PRV you had, or in my case cut the dome off, and then thread the nut onto the new PRV. Has anyone done this and had it work well? I'd like to get rid of the plastic hansen PRV on my pin lock lids

That looks like you drill out whatever PRV you had, or in my case cut the dome off, and then thread the nut onto the new PRV. Has anyone done this and had it work well? I'd like to get rid of the plastic hansen PRV on my pin lock lids

Those replacement aftermarket PRV's were originally designed to replace the dome style PRV's that the OP shows in the second pic. The OEM dome type PRV's are very easy to damage when you try to remove them for cleaning purposes. The typical damage is breaking off the plastic nut on the inside of the lid. The dome type PRV is not interchangeable with the more common pull ring type as the hole in the lid is much larger (like 3/4" or so). I see no reason why you could not enlarge the hole in any lid and use this aftermarket PRV. I bought two of them for my two kegs that have the fragile dome style PRV's but I have not yet installed them. They are made of machined aluminum, so you would want to avoid exposing them to caustic cleaning agents.

Latest posts

Back