I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here subsalior, never been in a submarine but I did everything possible in the sea, boating, body boarding... I can´t surf (for some reason I was never able to stand up in the fricking board) I don´t go to the beach often now or swin or do anything actually :D but still I need to be close from it... there is something about the sea that calls you... you probably know what I´m talking about.

I believe it is true for any Sailor! The Sea calls, it beckons, it is in our blood forever. Listen to the gentle surf on a warm sunny day and she is your lover calling you back to bed. Listen to the crash of the waves in a storm and she the same lover but she is now angry and you want only for her to appeased!
Either way she is still the same lady and you love her deeply and you respect her always!

I really don't know how you guys do the sub thing! My cousin was a submariner in the early nineties. He was a nuclear engineer. For some reason he didn't use that training when he got out. He's an air marshall now. Most of the men in my family are in law enforcement so I guess he was influenced by that.

I hear that, a good friend of the family was a Submarine Captain, He was classmates with some of the Sr Officers of the Thresher. Later he was head of the Ballistic Missile program. His house was like a Submarine museum, he had the coolest things he picked up thru his career.

No way I could spend months underwater in one of those things. I guess it would make you appreciate the view out any window though.

I've never scuba'd before only freedive. That was during an abalone trip at Fort Bragg. I went 0-3 on Lings with the spear gun then 2-2 with my Pole Sling. Go figure. According to my log the water on this trip was 49. I wore a 4/3 suit with a 2mm vest. That photo was at about 25' under the kelp beds. While the kelp can be dangerous, I'm very caution and prefer to dive there, because sharks won't swim into kelp, and I'm afraid of sharks. If I could just keep the seals away now. I hate those things. They're evil and they think it's hilarious.

We use poles occasionally too :)

I love California.

Is that a salmon? Nice fish. I did a little salmon fishing in Alaska once, but didn't really get into any lunkers. Good eating though. Fresh salmon is amazing. What I really miss is the yellowfin tuna though. Haven't had any sashimi in 6 years.

DSC01523.JPG

Periscope Liberty! Come up to periscope depth and man the scope - one of the most impressive things I've ever seen was coming up and I got on the scope and was clearing when we realized we were coming up right in front of a super tanker! Emergency Deep!!!! Cleared and checked Sonar; when we felt and heard the chop that giant ship's screws as we continued the dive. That's when I learned how hull designs can mask sounds and that no matter how good your procedures are, it's good to have back procedures and training.
When it was finally safe we went back up to PD and you could read the name of the vessel from the stern with hardly any magnification on the scope.

I think I'd go crazy on a sub. Not for me.

Man what a chore. I got a new 10 gallon cooler and a SS braid so I can go to no sparging and am having a heck of a time getting the core out of the braid. I guess going 20 inch is not making it any easier.

2 inches down and 18 to go:D

BBL_Brewer said:
Is that a salmon? Nice fish. I did a little salmon fishing in Alaska once, but didn't really get into any lunkers. Good eating though. Fresh salmon is amazing. What I really miss is the yellowfin tuna though. Haven't had any sashimi in 6 years.

Yup. Caught of the coast of Monterey.

The peacock one you ordered under the influence of sleeping pills? ;)

I suspect that his original comment was actually a dig at me. :)

I am a horribly impulse online shopper when on Ambien. A box arrived for me the other day from Amazon containing a cookbook, a hardhat, and a pair of toe socks. And that isn't just me trying to be humorous. :D

Its a sensory deprivation sport, so it might not be your thing. It is the exact opposite of jumping out of a plane, where everything is firing and you are taking in a load of information. You get less info to process underwater. Its not for everyone.

Rapture.

Man what a chore. I got a new 10 gallon cooler and a SS braid so I can go to no sparging and am having a heck of a time getting the core out of the braid. I guess going 20 inch is not making it any easier.

2 inches down and 18 to go:D

It really shouldn't take that long. Bunch it up, hold it at the furthest point back, let go, repeat

Cool pic. The only sub I've been in is one parked off the wharf in San Francisco.

I think about the human powered subs the confederates built during the civil war. That must have been interesting.

Totally agree, those Civil War boats were something else, basically semi-submerged torpedo boats. Sneak up close to the enemy and attach an explosive, back off a bit and detonate it.
Does not sound like a good time to me.

I need to get on visiting the Intrepid finally. Maybe in the spring I'll take my daughters there. There is a sub parked right next to it. As an added bonus, we have a space shuttle there now too.

emjay said:
I am a horribly impulse online shopper when on Ambien. A box arrived for me the other day from Amazon containing a cookbook, a hardhat, and a pair of toe socks. And that isn't just me trying to be humorous. :D
God that is bad.. At least the stuff I buy is sort of remotely useful. The cookbook isn't so weird. Unless is was a Greek Vegan cookbook or something like that.

Does anyone here know what happened to my trub? I had fruitflies from not carrying out the compost soon enough, a blown airlock and 2.5 gallons of dark ale in the 3 gallon glass carboy. I looked after 2 weeks, with lots of active fermenting early on, no trub, no yeast anywhere. Clear as can be. Tasted it and it was vinegar. So the vinegar ate the yeast?

God that is bad.. At least the stuff I buy is sort of remotely useful. The cookbook isn't so weird. Unless is was a Greek Vegan cookbook or something like that.

It was actually a really nice cookbook for a steal, so all in all it wasn't too bad. Definitely one of the strangest boxes I've ever had show up though.

Wish the socks would have been the Smart Wool ones, at least. Probably would have been if I knew what to buy out of the thousands of kinds they apparently make.

Does anyone here know what happened to my trub? I had fruitflies from not carrying out the compost soon enough, a blown airlock and 2.5 gallons of dark ale in the 3 gallon glass carboy. I looked after 2 weeks, with lots of active fermenting early on, no trub, no yeast anywhere. Clear as can be. Tasted it and it was vinegar. So the vinegar ate the yeast?

Which yeast strain?

A guy I worked with claimed he was on the sub with the highest tonnage sunk in peace time. Apparently somewhere near the straights of Gibralter, the captain thought he got hung up in a fishermens net and dove the sub to break away, when in fact is was a submerged tow line between a salvaged ship and its tow boat. By the time they were done they pulled both under.

Same guy (Chuck) brought in a nice photo album of his time on Subs to show all of us during a staff meeting another coworker (Dave abt 27yo) who was also on a sub. The Dave flipped thru the album and finally looked at Chuck and asked "who's navy were you in again?" Chuck replied "The US Navy same as you", Dave then asked "who are all these ratty looking guys with beards and shaggy hair?" The room busted up laughing. Chuck then had to explain that for most of submarine history, you were not required to shave when at sea, and that the rule had changed right as he was finishing up his last tour. Then Chuck had one of those oh my gosh, I'm old moments.

A guy I worked with claimed he was on the sub with the highest tonnage sunk in peace time. Apparently somewhere near the straights of Gibralter, the captain thought he got hung up in a fishermens net and dove the sub to break away, when in fact is was a submerged tow line between a salvaged ship and its tow boat. By the time they were done they pulled both under.

Same guy (Chuck) brought in a nice photo album of his time on Subs to show all of us during a staff meeting another coworker (Dave abt 27yo) who was also on a sub. The Dave flipped thru the album and finally looked at Chuck and asked "who's navy were you in again?" Chuck replied "The US Navy same as you", Dave then asked "who are all these ratty looking guys with beards and shaggy hair?" The room busted up laughing. Chuck then had to explain that for most of submarine history, you were not required to shave when at sea, and that the rule had changed right as he was finishing up his last tour. Then Chuck had one of those oh my gosh, I'm old moments.

Ha! Makes sense. IIRC, requiring men to be clean shaven was originally enacted as a response to chemical warfare, so that gas masks would get a proper seal. I'd imagine that it's not too much of a concern on a submarine. :D

Ha! Makes sense. IIRC, requiring men to be clean shaven was originally enacted as a response to chemical warfare, so that gas masks would get a proper seal. I'd imagine that it's not too much of a concern on a submarine. :D

I though he said it was lack of drinking water issue. Subsailor might be able to clarify.

I'd love that. I'd seriously consider coming up. I used to do some great canoe trips on the Suwanee.

I'm closer. ;) You can stay down the road at my best friends house then we can hang out and go kayaking or something. You must understand, I can't invite men as overnight guests like you guys can with each other. Knock on the front door and if mother likes you, you can stay and fish in the lake. I'm sure she'd like you. :)

OK I heated some mash water and filled it up with enough to do a 6 gallon batch accounting for the water absorption. Going to see how much temp I lose over a hour.

Yay no batch sparging for me now. But I have to learn a new set up:(

OK I heated some mash water and filled it up with enough to do a 6 gallon batch accounting for the water absorption. Going to see how much temp I lose over a hour.

Yay no batch sparging for me now. But I have to learn a new set up:(

I hope you don't lose much temp. Any back up plan if it goes too low?

2 degrees over a hour with water and no grain. I think if I put a blanket on the lid it will keep 1 degree over a hour.

Whoot no sparge for me any more

I'm closer. ;) You can stay down the road at my best friends house then we can hang out and go kayaking or something. You must understand, I can't invite men as overnight guests like you guys can with each other. Knock on the front door and if mother likes you, you can stay and fish in the lake. I'm sure she'd like you. :)

Now that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me here. I really wish I could take you up on that offer.

So the possum is back to his old antics, terrorizing my dog. The dog is sniffing under the house, into the crawl space, that's where the possum lives. The thing comes running out, they almost knocked each other in the foreheads. My dog yelped, ran to me and hid behind my legs. The possum ran across the yard, looked back and I saw his big eyes glowing, then climbed over the fence. Did not realize opossums could climb like that. Going to reset the trap, much better this time, and cut down some of his favorite foliage to camouflage it. My dog is pissed and said I must do this.

What happened to music for tonight? I hope no one is waiting for me to select something.

Haha it's my wife's.. Had you guys fooled all along. I've got my Brony Gear My Little Pony case coming in a few days.

Okay, a song to start us off "this time of night", who doesn't love old time rock and roll? The kind of music that soothes your soul. :fro:

Last edited by a moderator:
Airborneguy said:
Bottlebomber, in that pic you look exactly like someone I was in the Army with. Like to the point of being related.

We probably are.. Were his parents from Austria?

Back