Force Carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kegging a wheat beer today that's been on secondary for 2 weeks. I plan to serve it at a party tomorrow evening. I don't have a kegerator, so I'm going to be serving it and another keg out of a garbage can filled with ice.

What steps should I take to carb this? Is it possible to force-carb it while it's room-temperature, or should I try to load it into the garbage can and cover it with ice first?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thats a hard one to get a good carb in one day

Hit it with 40 psi then role the keg on the floor for 30 min and keep hitting it with 40 psi
do that a couple times durring the day and hope for the best

put the keg on ice in the morning and repeat the process

good luck

I would try and get it cold ASAP if you are going to do this. Beer takes CO2 much easier when cold. I would start by tossing it into a garbage can full of ice and water (water is important) and hook up the co2 at 40psi. Shake it up every 15 minutes or so to help cool it faster and get the co2 into the solution. Once the beer is cold, go for the roll method.

I would try and get it cold ASAP if you are going to do this. Beer takes CO2 much easier when cold. I would start by tossing it into a garbage can full of ice and water (water is important) and hook up the co2 at 40psi. Shake it up every 15 minutes or so to help cool it faster and get the co2 into the solution. Once the beer is cold, go for the roll method.
+1 to this
If all the ice melts, then siphon some of the water and drop in a few more bags of ice

You could run your CO2 into the keg through the GAS OUT post. Make sure you use the proper fitting for your keg. This will allow the CO2 to bubble through the brew while carbonating. When complete, remove the CO2 and tap as usual. This is still going to need to be rocked and rolled to get CO2 into solution.

When you are done, ensure that there is no liguid in the gas line before you place it on the keg's GAS IN post with the proper connection in place.

Salute! :mug:

Well, the wheat turned out fin, but the stout I made a few weeks ago was even more popular! My wife and I had about 50 friends over for a Low Country Boil, and served both beers. In turn, we raised $1000 for a local dog shelter. I'd say it was a good night!

Well, the wheat turned out fin, but the stout I made a few weeks ago was even more popular! My wife and I had about 50 friends over for a Low Country Boil, and served both beers. In turn, we raised $1000 for a local dog shelter. I'd say it was a good night!

Very cool!

Back