Help! No brown malt for Jamil's Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
Trying Jamil's recipe for Brown Porter and have no luck with the brown malt at my local HB store.

Grains:

9.5 pounds Marris Otter
1 pound crystal 40L
10 ounces chocolate malt

What should I do? The store owner said he would use 1/8 pound of black patent malt in as well.

PS: I love the chocolate flavor of Fuller's London Porter!

Well, you can make it yourself by roasting some 2-row or maris otter, google that and get the procedure. Without brown malt, and with black patent added, it will be very different from Jamil's brown porter, but could be tasty.

Your best bet would be amber malt, as many can be as dark as brown malts, with similar character. Unfortunately, if your lHBS doesn't have brown malt, they probably don't have amber malt either.

You could definitely add a half pound of biscuit and a quarter pound of special roast for a nice character, but again, that's a different beer.

To me, it's impossible to make a brown porter without brown malt. It's THE definitive ingredient. You can make a robust porter without the brown malt, and using some black malt, but not a brown porter and not one at all like Jamil's.

You can order some online if you really want to make a brown porter.

Yooper's right, it is an essential flavor in a brown porter. Order it if you really want to make it.

Back