ok to use bigger pot then needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

integra93ls

Reaction score
Ok right now I do 5 gal brews in my turkey fryer pot and works good. I'm interested in doing 10 gal soon. I have a 20 gal ss pot. Would it be ok to use that pot for smaller brews? Maybe 5 or 10 gal brews.

Yeah I do 5 gal batches in a keggle ( 15 gal keg ) and I have no problems. The nice thing is its impossible to have a boil over!

Ok thanks. Not sure what to do yet
I have the 20 gal ss pot and I have a 1/2 keg that needs to be cut. What to do?

Boil in the pot. Either use the pony keg as a fermenter or trade in so no deposits if you buy keg beer.

Don't pay dep on any kegs I get from my dist anyway. Fermented is a good idea. How? Just pop out the ball and put a stopper with airlock?

Might have to watch your boil off rate. The larger the surface area, the greater the boil off rate will be. But that's about it.

Don't pay dep on any kegs I get from my dist anyway. Fermented is a good idea. How? Just pop out the ball and put a stopper with airlock?

Remove the spear and clean it out REALLY good. You can boil water in it, soak oxy, etc. Then use a stopper and airlock where the spear goes. Instant stainless fermenter. :mug:

Back