DFH 120 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I was just curious lol. I don't know if anyone has tried to do this beer as an extract

I used extract, starting december 9th 2011. with total calculated gravity at 1.168, having added 4 pounds corn sugar, 2 pounds demarrara to a 5 gallon batch which lost 1 gallon 2 days in (do not stir the next few days after fermentation starts... it blows up), though with 5 gallons I had used 17 pounds pilsen LME, and 1 pound amber DME. It got down to 1.048 (still in secondary, I used belgian high gravity after the american II petered out), and is sweet. that said, I LIKE IT, it's hoppy, and it was a good experience, also I added my medical marijuana, and it gets me "medicated".

The experience got me to turn to other aeration methods, and I bought a stir plate, which makes me :), now I realize I need to BIAB or all grain for the base, start at a lower gravity, and or use a higher percentage corn sugar to keep the gravity down. That said...... I am so far surprised to find I enjoy that amount of sweetness with this beer.

bottlebomber said:
At 15%, I think you could probably bottle condition. I've done 13% no problemo. I recommend using champagne yeast, and making a small starter or activating it some way before you bottle with it. I'm not sure how much yeast would survive if you rehydrated it in 15% alcohol.

So would I add the yeast starter to the bottling bucket and add my priming sugar too? Or would I add the champagne yeast starter to the fermenter and let sit a few days then proceed with bottling?

Thought I would share this here. It's kinda off topic but still in the ballpark. I did start a new thread in general beer discussion with this pic if you guys want to comment there.

image-1988842228.jpg

Try the Aprihop hopcop if you havent had it yet, such a good beer. I brewed a clone last year, never wanted it to end.

Well I had a chance to get it into the bottle today. Sg 1.167 fg 1.012 abv 20.6 %. Tasted great. Thanks for all the info this thread has provided.
:drunk:

Well I had a chance to get it into the bottle today. Sg 1.167 fg 1.012 abv 20.6 %. Tasted great. Thanks for all the info this thread has provided.
:drunk:

one finishes and one begins.... just pitched my starter, i cant wait,, and thanks to everyone contributing

kosmokramer said:
one finishes and one begins.... just pitched my starter, i cant wait,, and thanks to everyone contributing

I'm in the middle! Lol. Took a gravity reading this morning. 1.012. That makes it 14.7%ABV. I'm probably going to finish in this range. I think my max will be 15%. Tasted the sample and it's nice. Strong hop flavor first then the nice malt backbone with a touch of warm alcohol on the finish. I like where it's at now and it's no where being finished!

Jsmith82 said:
Try the Aprihop hopcop if you havent had it yet, such a good beer. I brewed a clone last year, never wanted it to end.

I did have that one it's awesome! Do you have a recipe for that clone? I would be interested. I did have the 120 min too. Damn that was good.

I did have that one it's awesome! Do you have a recipe for that clone? I would be interested. I did have the 120 min too. Damn that was good.

Aprihop - 5 gal batch (Boil Volume: 5.72 gal)

Grains:
3.3lbs Pilsner LME
5.0lbs Pilsner 2-row Belgium
1.0lbs Cara-pils/Dextrine
1.0lbs Munich Malt
.5lbs Crystal Malt (60L)

Mash:
151.0 F for 60min, 10qts water
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00%

Hop Schedule:
1.0 oz Amarillo [60 min]
.25 oz Simcoe [60 min]
.50 oz Amarillo [20 min]
.25 oz Simcoe [20 min]
1.0 oz Amarillo [5 min]
1.0lbs Dextrose

Fermentation:
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II)

Secondary:
2 oz Amarillo
1.5lbs Apricot puree (rack beer on top of)

Beersmith stats:
SRM: 8.4
IBUs: 53.9
Est OG: 1.070
Est FG: 1.017
Est ABV: 6.94%

I originally used 3lbs Apricot puree which was way to much, damn it was still a good beer though. This was probably one of the best fruit beers I've ever had. I'm sure it's not exact to DFH but the stats are pretty close, base, hops are on key - all in all a good brew.

Jsmith82 said:

Grains:
3.3lbs Pilsner LME
1.0lbs Munich Malt
.5lbs Crystal Malt (60L)

Mash:

Hop Schedule:
1.0 oz Amarillo [60 min]
.25 oz Simcoe [60 min]
.50 oz Amarillo [20 min]
.25 oz Simcoe [20 min]
1.0 oz Amarillo [5 min]
1.0lbs Dextrose

Fermentation:

Secondary:
2 oz Amarillo

Beersmith stats:

I originally used 3lbs Apricot puree which was way to much, damn it was still a good beer though. This was probably one of the best fruit beers I've ever had. I'm sure it's not exact to DFH but the stats are pretty close, base, hops are on key - all in all a good brew.

I never heard of this beer, but it sounds amazing!

Anybofy try fermcap in the fermenter? I was looking for a little bigger bucket for thisthe brew and called the lhbs. He said ad fermcap to the fermenter and it would help out with blow off?

Jsmith82 said:

Grains:
3.3lbs Pilsner LME
1.0lbs Munich Malt
.5lbs Crystal Malt (60L)

Mash:

Hop Schedule:
1.0 oz Amarillo [60 min]
.25 oz Simcoe [60 min]
.50 oz Amarillo [20 min]
.25 oz Simcoe [20 min]
1.0 oz Amarillo [5 min]
1.0lbs Dextrose

Fermentation:

Secondary:
2 oz Amarillo

Beersmith stats:

Thanks for your recipe. I will put this in my brew list. I might use all grain and skip the LME. Make up the difference in grain. Plus I have my house yeast 1056 generation 4 right now. I'm going to use that. I love 1272 I used that on my IPA. Did you use fresh apricots for the purée or did you buy the purée?

Jsmith82 said:
I used Vinter's Harvest Puree: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oregon-apricot-puree.html

Comes in a 3lbs can, worked great. Warning though, I turned a bucket permanently orange with this stuff! Didn't hurt the bucket, I've sanitized repeatedly, soaked, washed, it works fine with no problems, just... orange.

Nice! I will look into that. Thanks for the info. I think the pics speaks for itself... Lol

image-2435080622.jpg

kosmokramer said:
^^^ Nice! did you do this single infusion or step it like the byo clone

I used single infusion. Strike water @164*F dough in @150*F for 60mins. Scottland and Jsmith mash a little lower 147-148*F. I had conversion at the 45min mark I just let it go the full 60.

You guys are making me very, very happy to see results like that!! I'm getting excited to brew my version 2.0. Only four months away, haha.

Seriously though, awesome results.

1.010! Great job :mug:

It is taking EVERYTHING I have not to pop the lid open and start chucking hops into mine. It has officially been 5 weeks though, tonight may be the night.........

Anybody know where i can get a bottle of 120the i would like to have something to compare mine to when its done

Dogfish should be releasing a batch here very soon. I can try to snag one for you. I'm not sure they distribute 120 to CA.

They don't. I got one through a swap recently, and I would have to say I was a little disappointed. It was vastly sweet, and with very little hop character. The only thing that really wowed me about it was that it had very little alcohol flavor for how strong it was.

....and I would have to say I was a little disappointed. It was vastly sweet, and with very little hop character. The only thing that really wowed me about it was that it had very little alcohol flavor for how strong it was.

That's 120 Minute. It's nothing like an IPA in my opinion. The post on page one of this thread was a dead on clone, but a number of us felt we could make a better 15%+ IPA. Hence the recipe that JSmith, clex25, and hopcop are brewing/aging right now. All three are a little different, but they all followed the same theme, way more hops, way smaller OG, and much drier. They all kicked ass during the ferment too. 1.005, 1.010, and Jsmith hasn't measured yet, but it was 1.020 last he checked, and still actively fermenting.

Those are going to be some amazing beers when they're done.

That's what I'm talkin about... I think 1.010 or even lower would be perfect for this, with a ton of dry hops after some bulk aging

Dogfish should be releasing a batch here very soon. I can try to snag one for you. I'm not sure they distribute 120 to CA.

If you could pick me one up that would rock! I can get pliny out here pretty regulary or i can send cash

Ebay - (un)fortunately for those of us out of market, there is always the internet's black market. The price is generally marked up but I've seen a decent mixer sixer of DFH seasonal and special brews for 60-80.00. Take into consideration WWS and 120 sells in range of 8-12 bucks a bottle, it can be somewhat realistically priced though obviously the seller is going to get his cut.

EDIT: There are a couple 4packs of 2011 120 out there for 75 bucks free shipping right now.

+1 to Scottland's comment above. DFH brewed Sho-Nuff, we're brewing up Bruce Leroy lol.

[QUOTE="+1 to Scottland's comment above. DFH brewed Sho-Nuff, we're brewing up Bruce Leroy lol.[/QUOTE]

Haha! That made me crack up! I will say that I can only reach 15%. I went lower than you heavy hitters with the gravity but I am hitting heavy with my hops. I think that's why I have really good attenuation. My house yeast has proven itself to me that it still have tons of viable life. Plus I only bottle condition and want to make sure this thing finishes properly. I'm not sure if I should wash these two yeast afterwards due to the alcohol but I may try just for *'#*s and giggles. I do have a few more vials left of my house yeast.
Cheers!

I was wondering about that, because you put this thread together so nicely, but then it became a catch all for everyone that brewed or wants to brew the beer.

Gonna start tomarrow, got the hop spyder ready today... just picked up some servo and fermaid k for
The yeasties...has anyone tried foam control (fermcaps) in the fermentor? Ill be using a bucket and wontbe much head space. Ive never used it and just wondering if it would inhibit the fermentation at all?

Im totally cool with it being a catch all. It's been really cool to see all the variants, results, and success people have had.

how would i do this in a carboy? i have a bucket but would love to be able to peak at the activity going on in this sucker

scottland said:
I consolidated all the info I learned about brewing this beer into a two part blog post. Part one is here covering the recipe and the process, part two i'll post here in a couple days.

http://bertusbrewery.blogspot.com/2012/03/dogfish-head-120-minute-ipa-clone.html

That's a great article. Perfect in detail by the way. You gave me some insight on the the next process. I will rack to secondary next week and let sit for a few weeks before I dry hop. I think I will use champagne yeast to bottle with and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the info. What a great thread.

how would i do this in a carboy? i have a bucket but would love to be able to peak at the activity going on in this sucker

I wouldn't do it, the krausen on this brew is massive and it sticks around for weeks - you need to be able to decoct wort to mix your sugar additions into then add back into the brew safely and efficiently, even using a baster or thief with the narrow neck of a carboy and the intensity of this fermentation you'll be making trouble for yourself or at least I know it would for me. To put it in perspective I was all in at the 4.5gal mark on my bucket, the krausen filled the 2 gallons worth of empty space in the bucket and still managed to sneak its way into the airlock. Everytime you pull the cork and blow off to make an addition you'll probably be fighting against krausen pushing up.

HOWEVER... If you decide to do this in a carboy, for the love of all that is cold, golden and delicious RECORD A VIDEO AND SHARE!

HOWEVER... If you decide to do this in a carboy, for the love of all that is cold, golden and delicious RECORD A VIDEO AND SHARE!

I have this set up in beersmith for 5 galons into the fermentor, maybe i will up it to 6 and split 4 into the bucket and 2 into a 3 gallon carboy. I would probably be double the work but hmm im brewing today so i just might...

I have a six liter starter cold crashing right now, how do i split the yeast and ensure each fermentor has enough?

one more question,,, what is the benefit of "wasting" the simcoe and amarillo up front in the boil?

what if i did like 4 oz of columbus continous for 80 minutes of the boil then swapped that hop bag out for a fresh one and used all the amarillo and simcoe the last 40 minutes?

what if i did like 4 oz of columbus continous for 80 minutes of the boil then swapped that hop bag out for a fresh one and used all the amarillo and simcoe the last 40 minutes?

I think that's a great idea, but I'd get a second hop bag, and leave the columbus in. I wouldn't remove any hops until the boil is over and the beer is chilled.

Latest posts

Back