American Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
I did an Widmer hefe clone last night...my OG was a little high I think. In the "Brewing With Wheat" book that just came out less than a year ago Widmer stated their OG is 1.047. The first time I made this mine was 1.053 and this time it was 1.060. I think my LHBS weighed out a little to much extract and that could be attributed to the high gravity. Is it going to have any negative effects on my beer and how long should I ferment? Would you put it in a secondary?

It will be done when you hit you've hit an consistent final gravity over a period of days.

ie...take a gravity reading today then take another tommorow, if the reading is the same then fermentation is complete. If the gravity is still falling then let it sit for a few more days and repeat the process.

It will be a little sweeter unless you adjusted the hop schedule. You could always dilute it with a half gallon of water when you have the head space and should take it back down to ~1.054 and your hop bill will be closer. My American Hefe is around 1.058 so nothing wrong with it the way it is.

Back