Help me decide what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyD

Reaction score
I have 10 lbs of 2-row and 2 lbs of white wheat. I have Cal ale yeast(US-05 and WLP-001) and safale 04 available for use. The hops for the recipe are pretty much open ended...as I have many available. Also, I can buy additional grains at the LHBS tomorrow. Help me to develop a recipe. Obviously it will depend upon whether we go with the english or cal ale yeast. HELP! What additional grains do I need to add to get a specific style...and what hops to use to satisfy that particular style?

Lol, I wish I had that problem...
Okay, assuming this is for a 5 gallon batch...
If I had those ingredients in front of me and I had to brew something RIGHT NOW or I'd die I would use the US-05 and all 8 to all 10 pounds of the 2 row and 1 to 1.5 pounds of the white wheat

...dang it....I want to brew right now...lol

Then I'd mash at a lower temp...oh say 142ish or thereabouts for at least an hour...maybe 90 minutes. Iodine test for conversion of course. Mash out. Sparge. A good sparge too, not some small whimpy sparge. In fact mash a little under the 1/1 water to grain lbs ratio and use the extra water to sparge. But then, does a .9/1 or less ratio start to build a bigger body...I forget...hmmmm. I can't remember what the ratio does other than conversion times depending on the amount and type of grain used. Anyone got something for that?

Then I'd boil for 45 minutes starting out with a Northern Brewer shooting for 20 total IBU.
Maybe end with Fuggle at 6 minutes or even something like a Hallertau?
Then at 0 minutes or burner off throw in Northern Brewer and the second hop variety (Fuggle?) with the same amount (total weight between the two) and let sit a minute.

Cool. Pitch started yeast. Ferment at not warmer than 65 degrees farenheit. Rack when gravity falls under 1.020 and slowly move to a 58 degrees farenheit environment and let sit 2 weeks or until it looks ready.

Anyway, that's how my mind wanders at 2:45 in the morning... :) PM me if you'd like an actual recipe with weights and everything. I use a spread sheet that I made in my spare time that seems to work well for me. Can even adjust the efficiency to adjust for different gear.

Oh, if you do decide to make this and it's good let me know....if it's bad you didn't get this recipe from me ;) I was just letting my mind wander around as if in a playground

Brew on!
~BJ

so...I ended up doing something I will call a frankenbrew. I will post back with more details once I have kegged and tasted it. I used all the grain and did a pseudo decoction and added some home-made candy syrup. Used Citra and Hallertau...this could be terrible. Fermenting with WLP-001. OG was ~1.70

MMmmmmmmm..... frankenbrew :)

Do you mean 1.070? Candy syrup, eh? Sweet....lol Did you taste the wort before pitching the yeast? I started doing that on my 2nd batch cuz I was so curious about how it tasted. Actually, by my 10th brew I was able to tell the difference a little better as to how the end product might turn out. Just a somethin something.
Can't wait to hear how it ends up!

Of course I tasted the wort before pitching and yes 1.070 is what I meant. Very sweet, tasted "more complex" than if it had just been the grains.

Anywho, I just added dry hops to it yesterday on a whim. 1.5 oz of cascade pelles. Gotta wait for one of my kegs to get emptied before I can keg it.

Back