Crazy Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Don't beat me up too bad.

I can't fit 2 buckets in my ferm chamber.
I really want to try an experimental pumkin ale, but would like to also brew a beer that I know that I will like to be ready for Halloween.

I could fit my boiling pot though.

What if... I boiled a 2 gallon brew.. racked it. Cleaned and sanitized the boiling pot. Racked back into the pot. Put the lid on, and let ferment in the boiling pot, in the ferm chamber..????

The lid won't have an airlock, but also just sits on top of the loosely, easily letting the co2 escape.

Of course if I find the time I could get a 3G carboy, but until then... what do you think?

I wouldn't even rack and sanitize.

Boil, chill, pitch, put the lid on.

The lid would probably be OK. That said....the inside of my freezer is a little funky. Little drips of beer are unavoidable with my picnic taps. I would sanitize it GOOD.

Well, I don't hate it......
You're going to have to be the experimenter, and let us know how it turns out.
Depending on how your Ferm chamber is set up, you might want to swab the walls with dilute bleach 1st (thinking that if you get alot of condensation normally, you might have the conditions for growing mold or other contaminants)

I agree with both of these statements. It wont turn our horrible or even bad if you do it correctly. Clean the schit out of the ferm chamber and you should be fine. Dont rack out of the kettle, just boil, cool, and pitch yeast. It may turn out better than you think if you do it right. good luck, let us know how it works out :D

Interesting...

Yeah my ferm chamber is a mess. Tons of condensation in this florida humidity.. then some of it freezes when I cold crash and rains down like hail. Then when it melts it leaks out in to the garage.

However, with the lid on, would this matter?

Warning: One instance anecdotal evidence.

I fermented beer in a pretzel keg and it actually turned out to be one of the best beers I have made. It was in a water bath and not a fermentation chamber and I taped the lid with one layer of tape just to marginally improve the seal.

... But I could have just been lucky.

I'm no expert, but as long as it's sanitary, you should be able to ferment in that.

I would take long strips of sanitized aluminum foil and grip it all around the edges of where the lid meets the top of the pot to further ensure that nothing undesirable falls into the fermenting wort, or crawls in under the closed lid. Not that I think bugs commonly go into fermentation chambers looking for beer, but take reasonable precautions since it's not technically sealed properly.

A lot of people dump the entire contents of their boil kettle into their fermenter (hop bits, trub and all) without straining, so it's also possible that you could skip racking entirely - just boil, cool, pitch yeast into brew kettle.

I'm no expert, but as long as it's sanitary, you should be able to ferment in that.

I would take long strips of sanitized aluminum foil and grip it all around the edges of where the lid meets the top of the pot to further ensure that nothing undesirable falls into the fermenting wort, or crawls in under the closed lid. Not that I think bugs commonly go into fermentation chambers looking for beer, but take reasonable precautions since it's not technically sealed properly.

A lot of people dump the entire contents of their boil kettle into their fermenter (hop bits, trub and all) without straining, so it's also possible that you could skip racking entirely - just boil, cool, pitch yeast into brew kettle.

I would use plastic (Saran) wrap instead of aluminum. It makes a much better and more sanitary seal. In the labs we use parafilm, but plastic wrap can be used in a pinch. Spray it down with Starsan before you wrap it around.

How are you going to vent that pot? There is no airlock hole. I guess you could stick a piece of tubing between the pot and lid and Saran wrap the whole shebang together.

I would think I would need to vent. The lid simply sits on the pot. Any pressure will leak out easily... edit: would NOT need to vent

If you feel like experimenting go get one of those gallon jugs of cheap wine from Walmart and make a one gallon batch in it you can even order airlocks that can screw on top from northernbrewer

I agree with both of these statements. It wont turn our horrible or even bad if you do it correctly. Clean the schit out of the ferm chamber and you should be fine. Dont rack out of the kettle, just boil, cool, and pitch yeast. It may turn out better than you think if you do it right. good luck, let us know how it works out :D
I know this is an ancient thread, but in the medieval times, they probably werent the most sanitary conditions....

I know this is an ancient thread [...]
You're not getting any awards here for necroposting... ;)

[...] but in the medieval times, they probably werent the most sanitary conditions....
And beer in those times tasted accordingly, as did pretty much all food and drink.

And people lived about 30 years or so. Not exactly the best of times.

"Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!"
But they did create ale...

Living 30 years was a result of many conditions.... notbghe al
You're not getting any awards here for necroposting... ;)
Not trying, just saw this for the first time...

Back